GIKyle

A Tour Around the Office

Very very nice. Thanks for taking the time to share!

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less."

GEN Robert E. Lee

Great collection and nicely displayed. Thanks for taking the time to post the photos.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Lots of great displays and I love the wood framed cases. What's the wooden crossbow device on the wall in post #7?

Lots of great displays and I love the wood framed cases. What's the wooden crossbow device on the wall in post #7?

Oh, I wanted to ask that, too, but forgot! Cool item! Reminds me of Robin Hood! :)

donation2018.gif

If you ever want a custom hand-embroidered (no machine) patch, I'm open to commissions! Pay or trade!
For an idea of my military collecting interests and wish list, see my profile page!
Looking for Old-Style US Coast Guard Commendation Medal (w/ or w/o ribbon)!

Oh, tarry and be strong; Tell God in prayer. What is thy hidden grief; Thy secret care.

Yet, if no answer come; Pray on and wait: God's time is always best; Never too late.

I've got some more photos to take it appears, but first here's my methods for the hinged glass cases. The constant headache with these and rikers is stuff falling to the bottom when they are stood up. To start, I pull the felt and foam out and put down a layer of bubble wrap. This pushes up the foam with little weight added - I also do this to my rikers in addition to adding felt to them as seen on post 10.

post-537-0-58742700-1587066280.jpg

After adding the bubble wrap, I replace the felt and foam and begin placing items. Inevitably, some items - usually medals, brass, etc. will be the first to hit the glass leaving thinner items loose and still susceptible to falling. For paper/ photos I add the little photo corners. This gives the displays a sort of scrapbook feel while the sticky part holds to the felt well.

post-537-0-80165300-1587066293.jpg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Other thin items I fold pieces of natural tissue or cotton balls under to provide some friction and help the item hold in place.

post-537-0-13349800-1587066383.jpg

For wrap brooch medals I always put a cotton ball behind the draps - this keeps the drape from folding onto the brooch. I think it looks bad and I suspect it might put wear onto the drape too.

post-537-0-31328200-1587066459.jpg

Despite best efforts, something inevitably falls - even on this display when I hung it back up... sigh.

Some specific photos to answer questions

CIBs - This is just a small variety of badges that I've accumulated over the years. Always held the award in high esteem and enjoy having a small display in the room.

post-537-0-42109600-1587079379_thumb.jpg

Sand displays - I did some consultation work for a guy who was building these displays - in a gesture of thanks he sent me these, which display well.

post-537-0-62781400-1587079446.jpg

Riker display - These were made by a friend for his museum. When he passed in 2008 they came into my collection. They work well for the standard riker.

post-537-0-93366500-1587079511.jpg

post-537-0-58404500-1587079512.jpg

Here's a closeup of the helmet lamp. Came from a friend who got it out of a catalog.

post-537-0-31491000-1587079633.jpg

CONGRADULATIONS ON A FINE COLLECTION, PLACED TOGETHER, AND DISPLAYED WELL. YOU HAVE A VERY GOOD TASTE WITH THE OAK/WOODEN FRAMED DISPLAY CASES. I REALLY LIKE THESE HINGED WOODEN FRAMED DISPLAYS, I'VE NEVER SEEN TWO PLACED TOGETHER, (WITH A PIANO HINGE) BUT THEY ARE REALLY PRACTICAL. GREAT JOB, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HARD WORK. GIH

Kyle, seems like a good space to grab a comfy chair, snap a Shiner Bock and look at the cool things IN the display cases. Great stuff, thanks for taking the time to post.

Mark

"The Dude Abides"

donation2007.gif

Kyle, seems like a good space to grab a comfy chair, snap a Shiner Bock and look at the cool things IN the display cases. Great stuff, thanks for taking the time to post.

Mark

Thanks Mark- my favorite part of this room is that almost every display is backed by original paperwork and photos. Those that arent have copies. This makes the room one of stories and history. Its easy to get lost reading about these heroes.

fantastic displays! I have a few items I need to put into shadow box frames... yours inspire me to get on with it!

Great room, and a great collection. Thank you for posting. Books are always a backbone of a collection.

Thanks- You are absolutely right about the books.  I wanted to prevent the military items from spilling to other rooms so only put in the books that I frequently reference in my office proper.