Are you a "only at my price" or a "name your price" collector?

RDUNE

I collect only US Army Chevrons and have over 2200 individual chevrons in my collection. Of course I have all the common stuff and have just about every chevron used from 1920 to present. Of course there are just a few chevrons I still need from that era. If I find one at a show, on this forum, or on eBay I will pay the price asked, within reason. My collection has evolved to a point where I only need the rarer items.

Chevrons older than 1920 I will pay the asking price, or dicker a little, to get chevrons I need. I have walked away or let the auction end for items that I needed and regret it somewhat because I have never found another of that item.

I appreciate someone who has set a price he or she will pay. I also appreciate how much a seller has tied up in an item.

I used to set up shows and rarely would I have a collector who would absolutely refuse to pay what I was asking for a particular collectible. I just assumed that they were fishing and either did not have cash to pay what I wanted or really did not want it. I consider it somewhat in bad taste to state to another seller that the item isn't worth what is asked. After all that is what dickering is about. If you can't or don't want to pay the asking price, or can't come to a mutually agreed price, just put it back on the table, politely say no thanks, and walk on. No use in making a scene.

olivedrab1970

As a buyer and a seller over the last 25+ years I have found myself at times willing to pay more for an item primarily due to the condition of the item and prior experiences in not buying a particular item when I had the chance. As a seller I try to make my selling price fair but definitely not outrageous, I still need to make a few bucks to keep doing what I am doing and keep finding and being able to pay up sometimes when the items are available I feel that most of the issue these days are the "I Remember when they cost only this much! " fellows that complain about prices now VS. back in the gold ole days mentality, THOSE DAYS ARE GONE! There is no longer 100 in a box under the table especially when it comes to US WWII militaria (maybe cleaning kits and ammo pouches). As a buyer I have to keep in mind that unless the item was in a box in the attic, most sellers had to pay overhead in some way to get the item to be able to sell. I guess it really depends on how much you really want to have that particular item at the end of it all!

Robin-

Before the last SOS, I was looking at my collection and was very happy with where it was. I thought to myself: "You know what would be amazing? To have a posthumous Purple Heart from the crew of the Lady Be Good". I had been fascinated by the Lady Be Good story since I was a kid and built a model B-24 and the kit came with the story of the crash and demise of the crew.

Sure enough, at the SOS, the pilot's posthumous Purple Heart was there, and at that point, the price didn't matter (okay, so maybe plus or minus a couple thousand...I'm not made of money...LOL)...it was the crown jewel of crown jewels in my book (both figuratively and literally...it's on pages 156-157 in my book on posthumous Purple Hearts).

I thoroughly understand Bill's (USMCR79) feelings about how things change over time. Things that were an amazing find that I "had to have" 25 years ago are not the same things that I'm interested in now. Partially because I've owned most everything I "had to have" back in the day and partially because I feel I've become more discriminating over time and would rather have a handful of amazing things than an accumulation of tons of "stuff". (Of course, if I won the lotto, I'd work to have an accumulation of amazing things...LOL) My collection now is based more on the story than on the value of the item...some of my favorite groups don't carry a heavy price tag, but for the value of the story, are priceless to me.

Dave

Yes...a $350 Purple Heart is just as valuable as a $3500 Purple Heart.

vintageproductions

One of my collections is super focused and I have been collecting this subject for 30+ years.

As far as I know, I am missing two pieces to complete it.

If I was at a show and either of the pieces popped up, I would pay whatever it takes to get them.

In my mind the price wouldn't matter as I am sure I have bought enough of the rest of the collection at what today would be bargain prices.

I would definitely pay more, within reason, if it was something I had been searching for for many years. Like Robert said, the cost of travel, shipping or whatever could end up being more than that 10% or whatever amount it is. “Buy it when you see it” I find is always best otherwise I regret it later.

...of course because the militaria collecting world is almost entirely based in US funds, I always pay 25% more in the exchange on the Canadian dollar, so a $500 item ends up costing me around $625 in my money. This is always a consideration for me, but I don’t let it get in the way of buying what I want or what I “need” for my collection.

easterneagle87

I can say I am a better buyer now than I was years ago. I am older and my kids are grown. I used to go on trips with my wife, see a nice piece and just couldn't afford it. I'd stare at it, think about it and walk away from it. I'd remember it and tell my wife about it later. Maybe we'd get back to the place and I'd see if it was still there. A great majority of the time, it'd be gone. She can't believe I'd remember it after many years past. Now she see's me looking at something and the comment comes, "Are you going to regret it." I do have some disposable income, I just manage it better I guess. I've gotten better at negotiating as well. I've come to find, it never hurts to ask. They can always say, "No." I have walked away and never regretted it. I have walked away and been called back. When I feel the seller thinks his crap is priceless, it's better just walk away. As a buyer I love a good nugget. As a seller I'd like to get a little extra jingle in my pocket. It does make me smile when I get a little more than I expected. This way I can buy or acquire more stuff. Maybe even over pay for a piece I want. The past is the past. Do i regret not buying a double decal, apple green WW2 German army helmet for $25 ??? Of course! But I was 8 years old and it was 1972. Still makes me laugh!

olivedrab1970

I can say I am a better buyer now than I was years ago. I am older and my kids are grown. I used to go on trips with my wife, see a nice piece and just couldn't afford it. I'd stare at it, think about it and walk away from it. I'd remember it and tell my wife about it later. Maybe we'd get back to the place and I'd see if it was still there. A great majority of the time, it'd be gone. She can't believe I'd remember it after many years past. Now she see's me looking at something and the comment comes, "Are you going to regret it." I do have some disposable income, I just manage it better I guess. I've gotten better at negotiating as well. I've come to find, it never hurts to ask. They can always say, "No." I have walked away and never regretted it. I have walked away and been called back. When I feel the seller thinks his crap is priceless, it's better just walk away. As a buyer I love a good nugget. As a seller I'd like to get a little extra jingle in my pocket. It does make me smile when I get a little more than I expected. This way I can buy or acquire more stuff. Maybe even over pay for a piece I want. The past is the past. Do i regret not buying a double decal, apple green WW2 German army helmet for $25 ??? Of course! But I was 8 years old and it was 1972. Still makes me laugh!

I can relate, US Veteran had his war trophy bring backs at an Air Show I attended when I was 11 or 12 years old, German Paratrooper Fallschirmjager gravity knife and khaki web belt and belt buckle for $30. I definitely to this day regret that pass on those two!

Robin-

For me I lean both ways. There are some parts of my collection that I enjoy, but not as much as others. If I am looking at a piece I first make the decision on will another one, or one like it, pop up again and if so how often, and is that price within what they normally go for. If I think I can find one later Ill pay my price, if not or it would be a long time, I pay their price.

Now there are a few areas in my collection, ok one real area, that when Im at a show I pay what I need to pay. Not to many variants Im actively searching for so when I see one, well Ill be handing over the cash no questions asked.

For the item you need, the time to buy is when you see it. We all have our "regrets" stories. My latest was just this week. A fellow Forum member had an item listed on his site that I had an interest in. It was a high dollar item but fairly priced. Added it to my watch list to give myself a day to think about the purchase. Finally decided to pull the trigger and boom it was gone.

• 3 months later...
AirCorpsClerk

I’m somewhere in between. For original office supplies and forms, I’ll pretty much pay the asking price if it’s within reason. 

At the same time, I’ve also hedged my bets on a few things because prices were too high. Most recent one was a CY-38 spare parts chest. I need one to complete my AN/TIQ-2 public address set, I’ve never seen one for sale, yet when the “bottom dollar” price is $150 and the guy says he paid over $80 for it, I’m not about to reward someone for overpaying. I almost ignored my better judgement and offered the $150, but at this point there’s no way I’d pay anywhere near that. 

huntssurplus

I thought I’d put in another response as I have changed a bit.

I would say I’m fully a “name your price”. I almost always ask the seller first what they want for an item of a price isn’t already shown. Usually, the seller will have an idea of what they want for it, and it saves a lot of time and hard feelings if they just say what they are looking to get for it. Many a time I’ll give an offer on something that is below what a seller wants and then they get angry at me for “lowballing” them even though I gave them a chance to name their price for me. It really ends up not being worth to deal with someone like that. I’m usually very flexible on prices, and will pay above market value (like most buyers) if I really want it. I’m not a pushover though, and so if it is an item I can still get a good nights sleep knowing I didn’t buy it, then I may be more stiff with how much I give in to a sellers demands.

I think it is part of the obligation of the seller to name a price first before the buyer as it gives the best base for negotiation without making everyone mad. If the buyer thinks the sellers price is too high they can simply say “no thank you”. No hurt feelings or anything.

That’s just from my experience though, stuff like this usually happens with sellers who aren’t well versed in Militaria, and usually In that case if they want to argue it’s best to be polite and move on.

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I’m of the same mind as many of you. I will definitely overpay if it is in my wheelhouse for sure. I filter it with the questions of, “how many have you seen for sale?” and “when was the last time you saw one for sale”? Not scientific but it keeps me from passing up a necessary or historical or just needed piece for me collection. I also look as an investment beyond the historic and intrinsic value. If I ever need to liquidate my collection will I win or lose on this item. Usually I’ll win so I pull the trigger but it’s a data point for me. 

I’ve overpaid on some and underpaid on others so Therein lies the balance for me. So many of you know me and have helped build my collection with amazing items. I’ve been lucky through the friendships here and the graciousness of the same people to be able to spread out high end purchases over time in order to build what little I have. I’ll still overpay if it calls to me because it’s important not only to maintain these items for history’s sake, we are all museums in a small way, but also to make sure these items get to a good home. 

I also have to step back and set a limit where I know this particular deal is not meant to be, at least for me right now. 

My rambling thoughts on it