A-36A Crash Photo

Vincennes

Since I cannot get out an go to flea markets or garage sales I have been going through my old files to see what I can find. I came across this photo and thought the gang might be interested.

This is a photo of a crashed A-36A near Blythe AAF in California on Dec. 6, 1942. The serial number is 42-83684. It was flown by E. M. Crenshaw of the 88th. Bomb Group, 308th. Bomb Squadron. The plane suffered a forced landing due to engine failure. The damage was listed as 4 on a scale of 1 to 5. At that time that meant a major overhaul was required to return it to service.

I have added an enhanced version of the text at the bottom of the photo to make it easier to read.

According to Wikipedia: "The North American A-36 Apache (listed in some sources as "Invader", but also called Mustang) was the ground-attack/dive bomber version of the North American P-51 Mustang, from which it could be distinguished by the presence of rectangular, slatted dive brakes above and below the wings. A total of 500 A-36 dive bombers served in the Mediterranean and Southeast Asia theaters during World War II before being withdrawn from operational use in 1944."

Paul

post-2319-0-80642300-1587042214_thumb.jpg

post-2319-0-55825100-1587042239_thumb.jpg