Bushwhacked at Natchitoches 24th Iowa I.D. Badge

skypilot6670

Beautifully engraved on 50 cent piece, I.D. Badge of Cyrus McKee Co.I 24th Iowa Vol. Inf. Records show Cyrus McKee enlisted on Aug. 8, 1862 as a private ,he was from Fairfield Iowa. The 24th was initially in the department of Missouri , then in January of 1863 it was assigned to the 13th corps.It participated in the Vicksburg Campaign and was heavily engaged at Champions Hill loosing 42 men killed in action. Transferred to the Department of the Gulf in late March McKee was Bushwhacked and killed by guerrillas on April 2, 1864

The engraving on this piece is truly done by a master jeweler , it is truly amazing to see in hand. Done on a New Orleans 50 cent piece. Both pin hinge and clasp are missing ,some marks are visible on the back where they would have been. Dont see many Iowa pieces .

post-137056-0-72162400-1586986555.jpgpost-137056-0-45276700-1586986580.jpg

skypilot6670

Thank you to all you guys for the kind comments. This quarantine has given me a lot of time to post and the feedback makes it fun. Mike

M24 Chaffee

You certainly have the material for a nice little Civil War ID book! Another cool disc!

Frank

skypilot6670

Mike and Frank ,thanks for the comments.Frank there is a soon to be published book on Corps Badges already in the works , delayed by the author having health issues. This will have 20 or so of my better I.D.ed Corps Badges in it. Also an article on some of my better pieces in Civil War Collecting periodical should be out soon (this quarantine may delay it) . As soon as either become available I’ll post all the particulars here. I really enjoy posting my badges here .A secondary benefit is when it gets positive feedback it vets it. This leaves a searchable record of what a real period badge should look like. There are so many fakes out there , if I can help educate someone and save them from buying a fake all the better.Alot of people helped me. The old rule still applies buy from reputable dealers that guarantee their pieces. (Some of the best are here on the forum) Fraternally yours Mike