Weapons Panel - Any idea what aircraft this is from?

MWalsh

Just recently got this weapons control panel from an aircraft. I have literally no idea which aircraft it came from, and no tags on the back of it to give me any idea or anything either.

I suspect it has to be from some fighter or fighter / bomber, since it does have Sidewinder and Sparrow missles as part of the selections on it.

It is about 14 inches tall and about 9 inches wide.

Help!

Thanks!

MW

post-440-1231729041.jpg

post-440-1231729047.jpg

Wow, 14 X 9 inches.... that thing is HUGE! :blink: We can safely rule out the F-16. But it does have inboard , out board as well as center, so we can rule out bombers....all but one. Even still its fairly large...but the Bomb/Nav would have had more room than, say the pilot or the EWO. But the missles listed are too new for the B-58 crying.gif

I would reaserch the the A-7. The Gam-83 Bullpup (Air Force)and the AGM-45 (Navy) Shrike keys/Lights put this in the Vietnam era. An interesting project to be sure.

Let us know when you have more info. Dave

I'm thinking maybe the F-4 or F-15, not too many a/c carried both the Sidewinder and Sparrow A/A missiles, however this is just a WAG, Mark

I would definitely agree it is part of a weapons trainer or simulator control panel. It certainly isn't part of an aircraft - it would be black and a whole lot more compact. Age-wise, it shows the GAM-83 which was renamed AGM-12 in 1963, and it has added below that the AGM-45 which came out the same year. I'd say it's from the early late 1950's or early 60's. The panel's weapons array was used on a variety of aircraft during that era. The F-100, F-105, and F-4 being the likely suspects.

Lets have a picture of the back. If they are only lights, it is most likley from a ground circuit test panel. It would have been in anything from a large suit case size box to a medium size roll around cart. All to check the stores electrical connections. Dave

Lets have a picture of the back. If they are only lights, it is most likley from a ground circuit test panel. It would have been in anything from a large suit case size box to a medium size roll around cart. All to check the stores electrical connections. Dave

I agree. thumbsup.gif

HolyHappiness

Looking at this, I'm think it could possibly be to a EA-6 Prowler because it looks a lot more like an electronic warfare terminal than anything. But if I had a second guess I'd say trainer.

-Nathan

Thanks all, for looking at my post and helping me to try and figure out what I have!

I will be attaching some pics of the back of the panel. Stupid me, I completely spaced out the tags on the top of the rear, although they probably do not help much beyond a date of 3/64 which is on them. I assume that would rule out an EA-6B, although I would love to have something from a Prowler thumbsup.gif

Anyway, here are the pics you all said would help. Thanks!

MW

post-440-1232683354.jpg

post-440-1232683362.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
I assume that would rule out an EA-6B, although I would love to have something from a Prowler thumbsup.gif

Anyway, here are the pics you all said would help. Thanks!

MW

... and you can rule out the Ea-6a. There was nothing in RIO's side that looked like this.

I'm going with a shop test set panel. All the avionics control panels in A/C, at least when I was in, were black faced and "boxed." "Boxed" in that the front panel was part of a self contained box. If they needed changed or worked on, the technician removed it by a unlatching the corner dzus fasteners, disconnected the wiring connectors on the back of the box, removed the box from the A/C (or replaced it with a known good one from supply), and took it in to the shop for troubleshooting/maintenance. The only open wiring in the A/C were the ones running between boxes.

All our test equipment in the shop had this light gray-battleship gray color and no "box." The panel was open behind it (as this one is) and fastened into a cabinet with a group of test equipment particular to that system. I worked ECM/EW equipment but all the shops and LRU (Line Replaceable Units-AKA black boxes) looked the same throughout avionics-black boxes in the A/C, gray test equipment in the shop.

Hey, thanks to all who weighed in and helped ID'ing this piece - I will call it "identified" as a test set panel for aircraft weapons then.

THANKS!

MW