WW1 canvas rifle scabbard

beerdragon54

beerdragon54

Digging through some of last years purchases and thought I’d share a couple as I’m packing it away. For the first time in many years my room might be organized by the end of the month. Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marchville1918

I dont recall seeing many , if any, pictures of these cases being used overseas in WW1. What was their intended use?

world war I nerd

In addition to the cover for the Chauchat, there were also two different, but similar, "long-gun" designs. I was initially told that one was for the Springfield rifle and the other for the Enfield rifle.

Although I've never researched these, I now believe that one was for the Springfield or Enfield rifles and the other for the BAR. When it comes to all thing AEF, my knowledge is weakest on small arms and squad automatic weapons, so I'm willing to adjust the above statement pending further evidence.

Solcarlus, excellent photo. That's the first time I've ever seen the canvas rifle cover in use. Do you know the photo's date, location or the unit in it? Based on what the men are wearing, I'd say it dates to the winter of 1917/1918.

Marchville1918

I have always wondered if they were not originally intended for the BAR. I base that on the fact that there were action covers for the bolt action rifles(so they didn't need a full case) and the fact that the rifle cases, while not rare, do not seem to have been made in anything like the number of Springfield and Enfield rifles manufactured. A rifle case would have been a problem to carry when not over the rifle for soldiers in action...and that applies also to a BAR man who already had a ton of ammo to carry. I think that whatever the original idea was, the practical use for these cases was in garrison duty and maybe for rifle teams. I don't know if a sniper rifle with a scope would fit in one. They seem too long for the military shotguns of the time.

World War 1 Ned.
There was no cover for the rifles. It's just cover-bolt.
Unfortunately, no date, no place, no unity. I will say it is winter 1918.
Marcheville:
I think these covers were used in the back and for travel. At the front, they were not used.
The sniper scopes were carried in leather cases.

America's Munitions 1918-1919- page 166;
Note the gunner's belt !
post-241-0-35480700-1587309319.jpg

suwanneetrader

I believe mine (which I've had for 25 + years is same as one pictured above, but not nearly as nice condition. It is dated WWI but I always thought it was for an O3? Richard

post-15934-0-79102700-1587309449.jpgpost-15934-0-87840900-1587309475.jpgpost-15934-0-25630400-1587309503.jpgpost-15934-0-84244700-1587309820.jpg

Brauer Bros. contract P7393-4658EQ, Aug. 1918 for 25,000 "Carry Case for Colt-Browning"

Progressive contract P7747-4811EQ Sept. 1918 for 25,000 "Carrying Case for Browning-Colt Light Rifle"

I have not located any contracts for carrying cases for Springfield or 1917 Enfield Rifles.

beerdragon54

Interesting, safe to say these were for the BAR despite what several of us always thought. The education always continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonjour.

Thank you So would just the bbl fit? Isn't complete BAR too big? Richard

bbl = Bipod ?

no bepod for BAR WWI.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is part of the specification for the BAR Rifle Cover.  All the parts seem to match with the cover / case in question

880115603_BARRifleCover.JPG.d843d6fc810675fbb5a06fa2cccb4266.JPG

oldabewla

The very early rifle covers types have a leather flap and muzzle end cap and not all canvas construction.

I have one of the early leather/ canvas type, one 1918 Long stamped marked and three later WWII made ones. 

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy
On 4/19/2020 at 5:19 PM, solcarlus said:

World War 1 Ned.

There was no cover for the rifles. It's just cover-bolt.
Unfortunately, no date, no place, no unity. I will say it is winter 1918.

Marcheville:
I think these covers were used in the back and for travel. At the front, they were not used.
The sniper scopes were carried in leather cases.

America's Munitions 1918-1919- page 166;
Note the gunner's belt !

post-241-0-35480700-1587309319.jpg

Hi Beerdragon & Solcarlus,  interesting to see that a case for the Automatic rifle is still mentioned in the August 1942 AR 850-5 manual for the marking of equipment and vehicles, Third item down, ' Case, Carrying, Automatic, Rifle '

regards lewis

.fullsizeoutput_5198.jpeg.87905b76b4557b773d00179171d06d48.jpeg