OSS invasion arm bands.

irish

I have seen some invasion arm bands posted recently and thought I would post these. Both belonging to a group from a Greek 3rd Contingent OSS soldier.

He had participated in a number of 3rd Contingent missions during the war . In Greece they destroyed rail lines and bridges. As well ambushed German Trains and troops . There were also missions into the surrounding islands. To my knowledge these missions were all amphibious insertions, however he was jump qualified.

The first armband shown is the type could be wrapped around the arm and fastened with a pin. This example was trimmed and sewn down to a jacket... It has seen some use. Second is the type most often seen on A-2 jackets and made in Italy. It appears to have not been worn. These items may have been posted by me before as part of the larger group, but cannot recall.

post-758-0-19923500-1586876215_thumb.jpg

Just an FYI in case you were not aware. After the Battle Magazine just came out with an excellent article on the OSS Groups in Greece with a number of pictures. Issue # 186

Just an FYI in case you were not aware. After the Battle Magazine just came out with an excellent article on the OSS Groups in Greece with a number of pictures. Issue # 186

thanks, I used to have a subscription to this mag but let it lapse a few years ago. Will have to go in and see if I can find a copy

Thanks Jack for posting. Not sure many know that unit was in Greece,including me. Nice to learn something new.

manayunkman

I posted an OSS group some years ago that included a photo album.

This man trained in kayaks and eventually used this method to infiltrate into Greece and Yugoslavia.

I would love to see the entire group.

Very rare and unique.

Nice grouping! and thanks for this info. I have been looking for a copy of Robert E. Perdue Jr's book 'OSS Behind the Lines in Greece' for a while now. I will be ordering a copy of ATB #186. I am not familiar with this publication, are they readily available in the US or should they be ordered through a specific distributor?