Brown M79 bandoleers w/ grenades - Early vietnam war? & some other VN era ordnance

DiGilio

Before anyone asks, this was live ordnance but nothing illegal. The pictures are of a ammo stockpile that was on an OP in eastern Afghanistan. Included was some old ordnance from late 60s and 70s in somewhat rough shape. These were left overseas and likely disposed of years ago.

Ive often seen the brown color M79 bandoleers described as early vietnam war but im not so sure this is the case and instead was just a variation due to the different companies contracted to make them. Im not sure if this was already discussed but I searched and didnt find anything.

This picture might be useful info I think.

The bandoleers still have greandes in them.

CTG 40MM HE M406

AMM LOT MA-117-42

40MM M118 HA-12-73-6-71

Perhaps someone better with lot numbers can say when they were made. 1971?

post-5102-0-88263500-1586830399_thumb.jpg

September 1968 dated claymores with a matching 6-68 dated clacker. You can see the chemicals in the C4 explosive has melted the plastic casing over time.

The wire is an early style one with the 2 exposed wires right before the blasting cap. One of the wires has broken off. Not good. Can see why they changed this.

post-5102-0-56416900-1586833037_thumb.jpg

M67 hand grenades. One dated April 1975. The other is an early one as well but cant read the date. The safety clips are long gone.

post-5102-0-10386700-1586833306_thumb.jpg

Kaptainssurplus

Hello, I can confirm that the brown bandoleirs are indeed early ones. Also over the years I was told that SOG and other elite units were issued the brown ones and regular units green. I have talked to an old SOG guy and he said he remembers the brown ones. I'm not sure if it issued that way or if it was a certain manufacture or if it was certain rounds that had brown ones. I can tell you that I opened a sealed crate of them a few years ago, from colt, that was sitting there since late 60s and they had the brown bandoleirs in them and same plastic holders as you posted. I'll go and check my photos of the crate and see what the dates, lot number, manufacture etc of that crate and contents.

Kaptainssurplus

Also a note about old ordnance, I can confirm a lot of old, 60s,70s,and 80s dated ordnance was used up in early Afganistan days. I remember M72A2s and A3s, M67s, LV 40mm grenades etc being used. I didn't seen old claymores that old but I'm sure there was plenty out there. In some cases even being shot for practice to use it up and get rid of it. We all know manufactures were chomping at pushing for new contracts, everyone had money signs in their eyes. I'm glad I'm not ty he only one that noticed this, I wish more grunts took notice of stuff like this, it's small stuff like.this that makes cool history, especially those who are ordnance collectors and historians. Thanks for the photos, if it's ok I would like to save them for reference.

Yeah. If you could get pictures of that crate it would be good. I did a bit more research and 1971 (June 1971) appears to be the correct date on the 40mm cartridge cases. Hopefully this can serve as one reference point for the brown bandoleers.

No doubt they are VN era but what i meant saying i dont think they are early vietnam is that they dont appear to predate the green ones and were only produced in the early 1960s as i have sometimes seen them described.

Not sure how them being for issue to elite units makes sense. I think its most likely just a case of the military not being strict with the exact color dyes used by the manufacturers. Bandoleers more or less just serve as disposable packaging. The brown color is a bit odd, but as it is these bandoleers can be found in varying colors.

Yeah. I took these pics in 2012-2013. I was surprised by the amount of old stuff still around. Stuff from the mid-late 70s and 80s was pretty common. Dont think I saw anything earlier than 67/68 though. The stuff in the pics is the kind of stuff that would mostly just be lying around, leftover from other units. Whenever newly opened ordnance was brought out, I remember it being in good condition and somewhat new.

With the withdrawal of US forces, i imagine whatever was left of the older stuff has been destroyed, or depending on its condition maybe handed over to the ANA. No point spending the money to ship it out of the country.