1/35 Scale US Army Bantam BRC40

Old Marine

This is Miniart's BRC40 kit. I am sure the jeep guys can fill in the details or let me know if I get anything wrong. But here is the short version. This Bantam Reconnaissance Car was the forerunner of the WWII Willys jeep and was adopted by the US Army in 1940. Bantam produced a few of these but was unable to produce the vehicle in the numbers the Army wanted so it sold/gave it's design to Willys for wartime production. A small number of these BRCs were tested and used by the Army in 1940 and 1941. Once the Army adopted the Willys design the existing supply of the Bantam cars were sent to Lend-Lease to Russia and Britain.

That explains the Russian soldier on the box art. I chose to make this model as used by the US Army in 1940-41 time period.

Here are some photos, but it still has a way to go. So, it's a good way to past time.

Thank for looking.

post-2843-0-91963300-1586824471_thumb.jpg

The kit is ok, lots of tiny parts and a sheet of photo etch parts. They are so tiny and fragile I just decided not to use them.

post-2843-0-33128500-1586824753_thumb.jpg

Dennis,

I love to see your work! I am looking forward to this build. Looks great so far. Are you planning on putting it in a diorama?

I hope you are doing well during this time....Kat

Proud Kraut

The Jeep and the early war figures are looking good so far. I guess the hatgear is from one of the new WW I ICM kits? And I know what you mean concerning the "tiny photo etch parts", lol.

Hey Dennis. Nice subject. I like the kitbashed figures and especially the pre-war helmets and campaign cover. Your BRC looks good so far. The figures and BRC look like something out of the movie "Wake Island" and the picture you posted looks like somewhere in the Philippines or Solomon Islands. This looks like another one of your classic works and I'm looking forward to it to come to fruition. BTW Lars and I can't post on the World Militaria Forum due to it being updated. I'll be headed back to this site on my next project.

Semper Fi.

Manny

I look forward to following your next project Manny.

Lars, I remember you saying that the photo etch wasn't worth the amount of work, I agree. The Photo etch seems like a nice enhancement, but it really doesn't add all that much to this kit.

Thank you Story, those links are terrific. Great detailed information and photos, they were a great help. The origin of this vehicle is pretty amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
Proud Kraut
14 hours ago, gwb123 said:

The vehicle is great, but the figures are excellent.

+ 1 Dennis, I really admire your figure painting skills. Outstanding!