5th Infantry RCT Pocket Patch

36-tex

So, my preliminary conclusion is that these specialized 5th RCT Pentagon patches were worn however briefly as a patch above the U.S. ARMY Tape when the regiment was in the 8th Infantry Division in West Germany, and that these specialized branch types might not ever of been worn during the Korean War as thought.

Here's another similar patch from the 555th Field Artillery. I pulled this picture off eBay.

Now that would of been made when the 5th Infantry was still a Combat Team, 555th FA Bn assinged to the 71st Inf Div just like the 5th Inf, but then they were no longer a RCT, the 555th FA Bn itself is inactivated in 1956.

The triple nickel was mine originally;think there is another post with more of these.

A post with more of the Artillery ones? I ask this because there were already two links posted above with more 5th RCT patches.

• 2 months later...

Rediscovered this photo that was posted by seanmc1114 in the Armored Triangles topic, check out that he is wearing the 5th Pentagon patch too, can't see if there is a device on it, kind a looks it right, maybe mirroring the device on the side of the tank?  In the original  posting I gave a 1954 date for photo when the 5th was still a separate RCT, but seeing now that he's wearing the patch over the u.S. ARMY tape as in the OP with the 8th Inf Div shoulder patch, I now conclude now is one taken in West Germany with the 8th Inf Div in a narrow window in the fall early winter of 1956-winter 1957 when infantry regiments still had a tank company, before the summer of 1957 PENTOMIC and CARS Reorganizations when the whole infantry is reorganized into Battle Groups without a tank company,

image.png.adcec6c13386adbd9234370ddc90d342.png

• 3 months later...

Here's an Engineer one,we haven't seen this one before, it was posted by member federicobernacca back in 2011 I just discovered. I would guess it was worn post 1957 when the 5th Inf was still in the 8th Div when the PENTOMIC Era Battle Groups contained an Engineer Platoon in their Headquarter and Service Companies.

261399813_5thrct1.jpg.994e1dd6bc3eea0fdab70cfbad7ab187.jpg387076561_5thrct2.jpg.96b6e2125ff85a63443f090cf10c4340.jpg

The PENTOMIC Order of Battle for Infantry Battle Groups (Here the 16th Infantry) note the Engineer Platoon in the H&S Company.

11-ROCID-BG-1957.jpg.e14f60f6522ed159acb84a5a3b225e08.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on the article for the 5th RCT Infantry patch. Anyone who has examples of any 5th RCT with branch of service insignia in the center please PM me! If I include your images in the article I will of course credit you.

• 2 years later...
On 6/26/2020 at 8:02 PM, patches said:

Rediscovered this photo that was posted by seanmc1114 in the Armored Triangles topic, check out that he is wearing the 5th Pentagon patch too, can't see if there is a device on it, kind a looks it right, maybe mirroring the device on the side of the tank?  In the original  posting I gave a 1954 date for photo when the 5th was still a separate RCT, but seeing now that he's wearing the patch over the u.S. ARMY tape as in the OP with the 8th Inf Div shoulder patch, I now conclude now is one taken in West Germany with the 8th Inf Div in a narrow window in the fall early winter of 1956-winter 1957 when infantry regiments still had a tank company, before the summer of 1957 PENTOMIC and CARS Reorganizations when the whole infantry is reorganized into Battle Groups without a tank company,

image.png.adcec6c13386adbd9234370ddc90d342.png

This is unrelated to Mark's article and the 5th RCT patches but related to Patches insight on the Tank companies that were a part of Infantry regiments.

Scan_20220704.jpg