Rare Navy I.D.Disc of Amasa J. Gross

skypilot6670

A very rare and nice looking Washington I.D. Disc of Amasa J.Gross All the Rhode Island Disc Ive ever seen are this style so I believe someone sent it to him from Rhode Island as that was his home. Amasa Gross enlisted in August of 1861. His records show he served on the Pensacola . The Pensacola departed Alexandria Va. on 11 Jan. 1862 to join Admiral Farragut's Gulf Blockading Squadron . She steamed with that fleet in the historic dash past Confederate forts St. Philip and Jackson witch protected New Orleans. On the 24th of April they further engaged the batteries below New Orleans and on the 26th a landing party from Pensacola raised the Stars and Stripes over the U.S. Mint. The next 2 years were spent patrolling the lower Mississippi.The Pensacola sailed to New York in April of 1864 ,and Amasa transferred to the Augusta and the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron under Admiral DuPont. He was discharged on Sept. 28 , 1864 . (The highlighted enlistment Record from New Bedford Mass. shows his home as provenance Rhode Island.)

post-137056-0-28996800-1586819682.jpgpost-137056-0-38360500-1586819702.jpgpost-137056-0-44658900-1586819716.jpg

USCapturephotos

Wow Mike. I believe that to be the first Navy ID disc from the Civil War that I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Paul

skypilot6670

You’re welcome Paul thanks for commenting. I haven’t been able to find out what the U.S.T. stands for after his name ,maybe someone on here can help. Mike

skypilot6670

Thanks for your comment Mike. I enjoy posting the things in my collection, this virus has stopped all the shows so this is the next best thing. Mike

skypilot6670

Thanks Irish and Frank. I’ve been lucky over the years, really enjoy collecting the different types of CW I.D. devices. Mike