Senior Balloon Wing

Tesla

Is this a real wing? It's currently on a bidding site and there are more pics on the site. I swear I have seen the personalized markings before but didnt think they were on a balloon wing.

post-180202-0-21482100-1586814020_thumb.jpg

post-180202-0-23936500-1586814035_thumb.jpg

rathbonemuseum.com

To me that appears like an NS Meyer restrike with a poorly stamped and incorrect Dondero hallmark.

I was wondering if it was real as well. It's getting lots of attention. At least there is a money back guarantee!

So, about 10+ years ago there where a couple of sellers on eBay ( probably the same person) who would come out with all these exotics that were always engraved check this tread : http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21830-examples-of-fake-fantasy-reproduction-wings/

Here is and example from that thread:

post-182-0-12047600-1586877024.jpg

post-182-0-91315100-1586877516.jpg

As you can see, same engraving style on the big letters - it's junk

Yes, This guy's fakes tend to have all the "bells and whistles". Usually a stamped in fake hallmark of some rather rare manufacturer, a "hokey" name or phrase, and a date (in case you didn't know what period it was supposed to be from). All put on the wing with a nail or dremmel bit by someone with no skill. Sometimes its on a cast wing, sometimes on a NS Meyer restrike.

But, they seem to fool a fair number of new collectors.

P