USMC French Croix de Guerre Aiguillette. Black tip vs. Brass tip

EGA-DOG

I was once told that members of the 5th Marine Regiment wore black pencils on their fourragere and members of the 6th Marine Regiment wore brass colored pencils on their fourragere. Looking at the official unit pages for each regiment, this seems to be the case. My question is, what is the particular reason? It seems that the uniform regulations phased out the black pencils in 2001.

Thanks

Brian

I have never heard of the different regiments wearing different pencils. My understanding was the Black (bronze) was worn with the service uniform and the gold with the dress uniform to match the color of the buttons and collar insignia. Although you see many pictures of the gold being worn with the service uniform I always figured it as unavailability of the bronze ones or like the Navy gray uniforms, most people wore gold insignia because they looked better than black.

Here is the fourrangere that my Frist Sergeant gave me in Jan 1979 when I joined C 1/5. I had never heard of the black tip - gold tip distinction, but was only in the 5th Marines for a short while. I only wore alphas once during the time I was there. Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

If true, this sounds like unit self-imposed nonsense.

When I was with 2/6, the regiment had its only policy on the twists when wearing this. That is, there are two loops that go over the button, one to the front, one to the rear. The twists in the front corresponded to the battalion, and in the rear to the regiment. So the front loop we put on, twisted twice, and the back loop 6 times. The loops weren't big enough for 6 in the rear without bunching up on itself. Wasn't in any published regs anywhere, it was just something 6th Marines decided to do. Don't know what 5th was doing

It's brass, it's still in my closet. Both the one I bought new at the PX, and the old one they issued me that was dated 1985 on the package. The one from the 80s was more of a sea foam green, though, and not from sun fading

Wharfmaster

When someone says " Black tip vs. Brass tip " I automatically think Armor Piercing is superior to Ball. :D

Wharf