Welding Equipment, LF info

notinfringed

notinfringed

I am looking for information and photos of welding equipment on air fields during WWII. Everything from gas bottles and carts, welders and trailers, to personal safety gear. I'm not sure this is even the correct spot to post this. I have come across a few WWII items over the years, and I would like to be able to keep my eyes open for things to add. I have a Lincoln welder which I posted about several years back. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/275721-army-air-force-lincoln-welder/

I would like to find the correct style of leads and clamp. I also would like to find photos of period correct Oxy/Acetylene gauges, torches, and carts. I am also looking for photos of carts for aircraft breathing Oxygen tanks. The larger tanks, not the onboard tanks. Thanks in advance for any help.

Levi

phantomfixer

Hi Levi,

Sounds like a good project...practical too...

This I can tell you...the large oxygen bottles pictured below are the same ones used in WWII...The USAF still has WWII dated, property Army Air Force bottles still in use for breathing oxygen...I have seen two bottle and 4 bottle carts used during the 40s...as I find pics, I will forward to you

post-155518-0-57305900-1586960704.jpg

notinfringed

These are the bottles I have so far. I would like to refinish them eventually. One is a breathing O2 bottle marked U.S. Army Air Corps. The re certification dates appear to begin in 1949, and go all the way up to 1987. The other O2 bottle is marked US Army Air Forces, and the the earliest certification date is Jan. of 1944. The Acetylene bottle is marked United States Army, and has a DA number, so I assume it is from the 53-61 time frame, providing they follow the same guidelines as clothing for stock numbers. I would like to refurbish all the tanks and repaint. I need to know what the original caps look like, because I am sure several of these are not correct. I hope to set the Army Air Forces oxygen tank up with the acetylene as a cutting torch set. This will be just for display, as I have no need to use these bottles (I have plenty of others).

post-2011-0-48111800-1587096493.jpg

notinfringed

Hi Levi,

Sounds like a good project...practical too...

This I can tell you...the large oxygen bottles pictured below are the same ones used in WWII...The USAF still has WWII dated, property Army Air Force bottles still in use for breathing oxygen...I have seen two bottle and 4 bottle carts used during the 40s...as I find pics, I will forward to you

Thanks for the help. I would love to see what ever you can come up with. Do you know by chance if the breathing oxygen tanks were painted the same in the 40s as they are now (green with a white band)? Oxygen for cutting I am guessing is always just solid green, but Acetylene I have seen both yellow and red. Was yellow for airfields? I know a lot of runway equipment gets painted yellow for visibility. Also, If anyone has any pictures of the correct WWII cutting torch, or a tech manual, I would love to see them. I have had tons of older cutting torches over the years, and some may have even been in the right age range, but sadly I got rid of them a few years back. Thanks again for the help.

Levi

• 7 months later...