Unusual survival gear item, urine flashlight.

I was cleaning the garage and found these salt water flashlight/ urine flashlights and a few Kilgore aviator KC-13 smoke/ Illumination flares in an ammo box. I know the flares were used in pilots flight vests and survival gear but I can not find any reference to these. They are made by DME , a well known survival kit manufacturer and dated from the 80's. No NSN numbers on them. Can anyone recall if they were part of Navy, Army, Air Force ? Kits. post-180924-0-92382500-1586648902_thumb.jpeg

Ammo can full of flares/ smokes. I remember buying the lot years ago. I had sold a bunch of them,used a bunch for the 4th, then put the remainder away and forgot about them. The seller had said the lot was from aircraft survival kits, no idea what branch.post-180924-0-54903000-1586649855_thumb.jpeg

I haven't personally seen those lights in any military kits but reminds me of something you would have seen in an airline survival kit from like old 747s etc. Those smoke/flares are the civilian version if they are marked KC-13 vs MK-13. Kilgore made them, and could also be from a civilian aircraft kit but they are identical to the issue ones. Both could also be from a boat survival kit as well. Like 15 years ago there was a online ammunition store that sold the KCs pretty cheap. Wish I picked some up to play with. I dont want to waste any of the MKs that I have, plus they complete kits I have.

• 4 weeks later...

I have about 100 KC13s left, been using them on the 4th, and sold off another 100 a few years ago on GB. Probably about 1 in 5 the friction primer does not ignite, but I stick cannon fuze into them to ignite. Probably from airline survival kits ( no idea) , but if anyone is interested PM me an offer for some.