Think I just bought a helmet blank pulled off the line for ballistic testing - WWII or later?

ClaptonIsGod

ClaptonIsGod

Wanted to begin by saying I hope all are doing alright in these dark times.

Just bought this shell for a very fair price as a social distancing boredom buy, and because I am pretty sure it is what I think it is, and likely fairly rare if I am right.

I believe this to be a helmet blank that was pulled off the line after being stamped into shape from a disc, before the rim or bails were added or it was painted. I remember reading in the reference books that this was done for each lot, to ensure metal durability and confirm the helmets were suitable for delivery to the military and subsequent combat use. Unless there was master-level cleanup done on the spot welds, it clearly never had a rim or bails.

The seller is in Michigan, and states it came from an estate sale; McCord had their factory in Detroit. Likely that person or a relative worked at McCord and kept a test shell. Note the white Xs, the large dent, etc. Am I right in my suspicions? Would this likely have been WWII or later? If I am lucky, might it have a heat stamp? And what might it be worth?

CfJqowB.jpg

r3l8OK4.jpg

nl2RNTC.jpg

Xe6UCOJ.jpg

2V51JPq.jpg

ClaptonIsGod

Helmet blank*. Stupid autocorrect. Can a mod please correct the title? Thanks.

edit: thanks for updating, two more photos

n41wTmx.jpg

IBVecxN.jpg

ClaptonIsGod

Thanks. If what I’ve read online is true, then that dent was probably caused by a .45ACP at close range?

ClaptonIsGod

Well, I’m still ahead then but value was a tertiary concern, as it is with all my helmets as I haven’t quite figured out the selling part yet and doubt I will.

Anyone seen another blank, or can confirm my assumption of the history? It appears to be a high-dome based on the tape measure photo, so I’m guessing WWII. Don’t know how else you’d tell without a seam or bails, maybe it’ll have a heat stamp. That would depend upon where on the assembly line the heat stamp was done, if they pulled this straight from the forming and heat stamping came down the line once the durability tests were done, presumably it wouldn’t have one.

The Rooster

$30.00 ???

Considering they made like 20 million McCords, Im guessing the number of blanks is much much smaller. + the number of blanks that survived being melted down all these decades, I would have to disagree with the $30.00 tag on that alone.

I could be wrong, but the more rare something is the more value it has in my opinion.

Ive never seen a blank test shell. Lots of things I've never seen but seems like a rare item.

Ive had a few blanks but they had the large un trimmed edge...think ive seen them sell in the $150-$300 range but havent seen one come up for sale recently to compare to and yours is the next stage trimmed version..hard to say but i would think its at least around $100 or more to the right collector just a guesstimate....mike

.45 at close range would go right thru it...

Oh really? Then why is this guy shooting helmets with a .45 and why do they just have dents in them?

post-270-0-33407800-1586796199_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

Wow now that is definative illustrative proof if I ever saw it !

Would'nt this shell as a blank be even more rare because its been further trimmed ?

Did Schluter test their shells differently than McCord ?

Lower powered rounds used in testing.

You see where both it pierces it and bonces off making the dent..but have seen more actual combat/not test ones with a hole in them.

ClaptonIsGod

Thanks for the comments all, and great picture aef1917. I suppose the question when this arrives is do I give it my usual rusty/relic helmet treatment (as I have done to a few ground-dug M1s and my rusty pots allegedly off the USS San Francisco) of spraying it with a coat of matte clear Rustoleum, or do I leave it alone?

Benefit is that it would stop further rusting of bare steel and lock in the white Xs, downside is it has lasted 75-80 years without anything on it and perhaps I should leave it be.

Either way, happy to add such an unusual and obscure helmet to my collection. It should go nicely with my unfinished MSA liner that never made it to having holes drilled. I might not have a massive collection of authentic unit-painted WWII lids, but every time I find something cool and generally forgotten like this it makes me feel like Im that much closer to some museum-worthy items.

• 6 months later...

What a great item! Would love to seen such a shell. You have any more images of this? Does it have a lot stamp? Has the shell even been painted or is it rust? If so is there any trace of the steel companys actual heat and lift number? Should be in the dome, in ink, inside or on the outside.

20 hours ago, ccyooper said:

And the 45ACP rounds used for the test 

7F74E704-F2B7-43FF-A569-B45006D824DB.jpeg

Holy Cow! Talk about rare ammunition! 

Thanks for posting it!
BKW