Ribbon Identity and Numbers Help.

I need some help with identifying a ribbon. I purchase this jacket and cap from a thrift store, and I have no idea what the ribbon is on the far right. It almost looks like a prisioner of war ribbon, but it isn't exact from the examples I found. I'm also not sure what the 80-888 numbers are. There is also a S-O-989 number. Thank-you for your help!!!

post-151853-0-53619100-1586634051_thumb.jpg

post-151853-0-49217800-1586634064_thumb.jpg

Good Conduct, Occupation and unknown ( Looks like a reversed Army of Occupation ribbon)

Robin-

I Collect USMC WWII uniforms, gear, patches, insignia. medals and ribbons. I also sell and trade Militaria of primarily the U.S. Military.

R.Delaney

Semper Fidelis-

That's not a POW ribbon

Ribbon
The ribbon to the Prisoner of War Medal is 1 3/8 inches wide and consists of a central band of black edged in white. The edge stripes of the ribbon are composed of pinstripes of red, white and blue (with the red forming the outer edge of the ribbon). The red, white and blue edge stripes represent the United States; the larger white stripes represent hope, and the black center stripe alludes to the bleakness of confinement as a prisoner of war.

POW Ribbon.jpg

How would a guy in the 50's get a POW medal? The medal was introduced in 1985. I have seen these on numerous 50's era Army uniforms of guys who were in Germany or other parts of Europe. Not sure what it is, sure of what it isn't.

Mark

"The Dude Abides"

donation2007.gif

When I start looking at the National Guard ribbons, I find that the ribbon appears to be the Washington National Guard Meritorious Achievement Ribbon. http://www.officialmilitaryribbons.com/national_guard/washington_national_guard_military_ribbons.html

The problem that I run into with this ID is that I have seen a TON of post-WWII US Army Europe Ike jackets that have this exact ribbon on the bar. I am thinking that this ribbon may have some sort of local command significance. I cannot believe that all of these guys serving in post WWII Europe were all coming out of the Washington National Guard.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

When I start looking at the National Guard ribbons, I find that the ribbon appears to be the Washington National Guard Meritorious Achievement Ribbon. http://www.officialmilitaryribbons.com/national_guard/washington_national_guard_military_ribbons.html

The problem that I run into with this ID is that I have seen a TON of post-WWII US Army Europe Ike jackets that have this exact ribbon on the bar. I am thinking that this ribbon may have some sort of local command significance. I cannot believe that all of these guys serving in post WWII Europe were all coming out of the Washington National Guard.

Allan

Allan'

Just a theory' They may have ordered the wrong ribbons for the command/Quartermaster and issued them oblivious at that time??? It literally resembles a reverse Occupation ribbon (Germany)

Robin-

I Collect USMC WWII uniforms, gear, patches, insignia. medals and ribbons. I also sell and trade Militaria of primarily the U.S. Military.

R.Delaney

Semper Fidelis-

It's a WW 1 Occupation ribbon. You see them a lot on Constab and on early occupation jackets/shirts, as Allan H. said - but so far, have seen them only on ETO uniforms.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Member, ASMIC.

Editor, ASMIC's The Trading Post

ASMIC Executive VP

I'm having a hard time figuring this jacket out. He obviously was in Europe, but he doesn't have a European ribbon, nor does he have a WWII victory ribbon. He has a service stripe but no overseas stripe. Is it possible the jacket is missing a ribbon bar? I realize I dont know half of what you guys know, but does any of this make sense? Also, the jacket came out of the Somerset Pa area, I'm guessing those national guard units mentioned wouldn't be correct.

Can't answer about fouragerres, but not every GI followed every AR, whether insignia related, or otherwise. I mean, there are two occupation ribbons......

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Member, ASMIC.

ASMIC Executive VP

Do you think he was in WWII or just an occupying force after the war? Did guys get shipped to Europe to work on infrastructure, he was a part of the 5th engineering battalion. That is what his DI's represent.

How would a guy in the 50's get a POW medal? The medal was introduced in 1985. I have seen these on numerous 50's era Army uniforms of guys who were in Germany or other parts of Europe. Not sure what it is, sure of what it isn't.

Mark

Mark,

I've been searching the forum and the web for an example of this but cannot find any yet. Do you have another photo of this ribbon in use for reference?

PS - Anyone else have a WWII or post-war reference photo of a 'reversed color' WWI Occupation Ribbon?

Looks like Washington national Guard Achievement ribbon, or Missouri national Guard Governors 12 ribbon which is the same setup as the Washington one. Some day someone will post a ribbon from Alabama so I don't have to go through my book which is alphabetical.

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I've got to disagree with tredhed2, I don't believe it's a WW1 Occupation ribbon. If it is, the manufacturer totally screwed the pooch on it.

Occupation would be; blue (thin) red (thin) AND even those should have a "wave to them where blue and red meet, then white (medium) black fat (wide).

This ribbon is; red (medium) white (medium) blue (medium) black (wide).

I agree GI's did a lot of adlibbing with their ribbons bars. Backwards, forwards, upside down, It's what they picked up or were handed. Just like a WW2 Victory medal ribbon with a campaign star (maybe they thought for being in Germany and then Japan) who really knows, but we know it didn't exist. Our troops still screw up their bars. I'm not complaining, I'm a ribbon nut.

Definitely post war. Domed collar dics. flat, almost printed 7th Army patch. Chevrons before they changed to the blue tinged ones. It is a mystery, and we all love mysteries. What is lost, is someone actually wore this! and we will never know the true story of it.

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.

check out the Washington National Guard decoration: Washington Achievement Medal (WSAM) - This decoration shall be awarded to any person who distinguishes himself/herself by specific acts and/or achievements resulting in enhanced or increased unit readiness, operations, morale, or mission accomplishment, as a member or in affiliation with the Military Department, State of Washington. This decoration is awarded for accomplishments of a lesser degree and shorter service duration than required for the WSCM. The WSAM is appropriate for presentation as an impact award.

Dwayne

Thank-you guys!!! I learned some things!! Leave it to me to find a mystery. Lol!! If any of you guys are interested in this uniform, please let me know. I will be listing it for sale either here or on ebay. I would rather one of you ribbon guys get it.

Thanks again!!!

We are not any closer to IDing the ribbon, but this is from Jeff Floyd.

Greg Ogletree's book "Awards and Decorations of US State Military Forces", 1988, notes this as an Air Guard award only. It did not appear until 1962 as a Guard ribbon. Several internet sources now show it as Army and Air Guard, so Ogletree is perhaps in error or the Army Guard signed on to the ribbon after Greg's research stopped. Neither of these possibilities moves the clock back to cover sightings of the ribbon on Constabulary uniforms.

Any other thoughts?

Member, ASMIC.

ASMIC Executive VP