MAGNIFICENT HALF PLATE CONFEDERATE AMBROTYPE OF TEXAN SOLDIER IN HOMESPUN UNIFORM W/ PISTOL & BOWIE.

Great image. I wonder what the piece of paper is that’s sticking out of his pocket ?

It's a certificate of authentication -- COA :rolleyes::D

Steve

• 10 months later...

What a state of preservation! How do they know he was a Confederate soldier? 

That uniform is amazing! I've never seen pants that blue! Anyone know what rank that is? 

Are those dog tags?

The trousers appear to be either imported English-made trousers, or possibly made in the Confederacy of imported British cloth.  Trousers made of that bright blue English Army cloth were quite popular in the Army of Northern Virginia.  These are enlisted trousers ( no stripes on the legs) but were often worn by officers.

The coat is for a lieutenant general.  Three stars in a wreath indicated a general in the Confederate Army (this one is missing some stars).  The arrangement of buttons in groups of three specifically indicates a lieutenant general.  It always seemed like a bad idea to me that button arrangements indicated rank - you would have to get a new coat every time you were promoted!

1 minute ago, VMI88 said:

The trousers appear to be either imported English-made trousers, or possibly made in the Confederacy of imported British cloth.  Trousers made of that bright blue English Army cloth were quite popular in the Army of Northern Virginia.  These are enlisted trousers ( no stripes on the legs) but were often worn by officers.

The coat is for a lieutenant general.  Three stars in a wreath indicated a general in the Confederate Army (this one is missing some stars).  The arrangement of buttons in groups of three specifically indicates a lieutenant general.  It always seemed like a bad idea to me that button arrangements indicated rank - you would have to get a new coat every time you were promoted!

Thanks for the very informative answer about the uniform! That is crazy about the buttons! I would think that would be detrimental. Would the braid on the arms be different and/or mean something, or is it purely ornament? 

USCapturephotos
2 hours ago, stratasfan said:

What a state of preservation! How do they know he was a Confederate soldier? 

That uniform is amazing! I've never seen pants that blue! Anyone know what rank that is? 

Are those dog tags?

No those are rare and valuable "slave tags" used by slaves that had a trade. I believe they were only used in the Charleston, S.C. area and are only dug there.

Paul