Awesome CSA Uniforms - Captain Cuthbert H. Slocomb

Museum quality. Some of the best I've ever seen. The thing I'm really curious about is how they were stored all of these years so that they are in such great condition.

Just read the description-- sack coat, bottom center shows repairs and blood stains from two shoulder wounds!

Amazing group.

Scott

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
manifestdestiny

I think its awesome that such an extensive grouping from the 5th Company Washington Artillery still exists. The first four companies had such a storied role in the ANV, and I am glad that this grouping may somehow shed light on the 5th company's involvement in the Army of Tennessee (and his unit's futile efforts at Missionary Ridge).

The quality and preservation of the fabric is truly astounding and helps shed some insight into the availabilities of material in the port city of New Orleans before it fell. I assume--base on the disparities of materials--that the sack coat and the vest were made later in the war.

I really wish that the Confederate Museum in New Orleans would have ended up with this group given its origins, but I am fairly certain it went elsewhere.

Any idea if this ended up in the hands of a museum?

It would certainly be worth the trip to see this.

I couldn't find the vest in the auction, but here are the other pieces. Too bad it was split up (my opinion) but it is what it is...

Looks like everything (but the vest) closed at $298,802 (assuming before the commission was added).

Screenshot_56.jpg

Screenshot_55.jpg

Screenshot_54.jpg

Marktk36thIL

I think one of my acquaintances out west ended up with the best. Shame on the auction house for breaking up the collection, but sometimes the almighty dollar wins out.

In the same auction - check these out!!

Confederate general uniform went for 94,000

and this walker colt went for 117,500 - WOW!!!!

how about a IDENTIFIED MARTIAL HENRY for 94,000 - what a freaking beauty!!!!!!

gen 1.jpg

gen 2.jpg

gen 3.jpg

gen 4.jpg

gen5.jpg

gen6.jpg

gen7.jpg

gen8.jpg

gen9.jpg

gen11.jpg

walker.jpg

henry1.jpg

henry2.jpg

manifestdestiny

Agh man. That is unfortunate, but I guess that is far more common than we'd all like.

On another note, the craftsmanship on that General's jacket above is amazing. The quilted lining is flawless, and the lack of uniformity among the hand done button holes is quite interesting....They are a pain to do by hand now and I'm glad to see that not much has changed in that regard.

I really like the rank insignia on the general's coat.  The regulation is three stars surrounded by an embroidered laurel wreath, but this one uses gold braid to simulate the wreath.  I've never seen that before.

huntssurplus

How does one even go about handling these items?? I would freak out that it would collapse in my hands. They all look to be in great shape but still, being 160 year old cloth garments I really hope the new owners ensure they are well preserved. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had the fortuitous opportunity (timing was perfect for me) to buy one of Slocomb's uniform pieces. I'm sad to see the grouping break up, but I wouldn't have been able to acquire my piece otherwise.