Small WWII 82nd Identified Grouping

Worldwar_Collector

Worldwar_Collector

This is a small grouping identified to Sgt. Rudolph J Utzig (32 782 111) of the 82nd Airborne, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment. He participated in D-Day with the 82nd.

"For heroic conduct in action on 6, 7, and 8 June 1944 near ***, France. Occupying a machine gun position in an exposed area, Private UTZIG remained at his post for two and a half days in the face of constant intense artillery, mortar and machine gun fire. During the second of the heavy enemy attacks artillery fire caused our forces to withdraw. Private UTZIG through the attack was spearheaded by enemy tanks and supported by heavy automatic weapons fire, and stood by his gun and laid down a base of fire behind which our troops reorganized and regained their position. The fine example of courage, determination and aggressiveness displayed by Private UTZIG were in keeping with the highest traditions of the Airborne Forces. Entered military service from New York"

After Normandy, he went on to fight in the Ardennes, Central Europe, and the Rhineland. After the war he returned home to New York. His decorations include the European African Middle Eastern Service Medal, Distinguished Unit Badge, Good Conduct Medal, World War Two Victory Medal, and the American Service Medal. I do not know much about his life after the war other than he had at least one son, who worked with my dad. His son gave these items to my dad to give to me after learning about my love for History and I am very grateful for them.

post-296141-0-20982000-1586567594_thumb.jpeg

post-296141-0-72616400-1586567607_thumb.jpeg

Persian Gulf Command

Very nice! Could we have a close up of the Wings, front and back. They appear to be nice British made with lots of original finish.

Brian Keith

Yes, I agree with Persian. Excellent that you have a photo of him in uniform with his ribbons and badges. I also think the parachutists bade may be British made.

Thanks for posting them.

BKW

Worldwar_Collector

post-296141-0-86275600-1586653153_thumb.jpeg

post-296141-0-12332900-1586653163_thumb.jpeg

Persian Gulf Command,

Here is the front and back of the wings...it was British made!

Brian Keith,

Thank you for the kind words and you're welcome!

Edelweisse,

I thought the same thing with the Bronze Star and Purple Heart but his discharge papers do not mention them. Was that something that was sometimes left out or perhaps he received them after the war and put the uniform back on for a picture?

-Jared

So you have his DD-214 (discharge paper)? Can you post a copy of it? I find it hard to believe that they would “overlook” a Purple Heart and Bronze Star....even the most Rookie Admin/Personnel clerk wouldn’t over look that and the actual soldier wouldn’t let this be overlooked.

Worldwar_Collector

So you have his DD-214 (discharge paper)? Can you post a copy of it? I find it hard to believe that they would “overlook” a Purple Heart and Bronze Star....even the most Rookie Admin/Personnel clerk wouldn’t over look that and the actual soldier wouldn’t let this be overlooked.

Just posted it above!

CPL Rudolph J. Utzig was awarded the BSM under GO#42, 1945, 82 ABNDIV

He was also wounded twice, receiving the PH w/OLC under GO#12, 1944, 505PIR and GO#22, 1945, 505PIR

Why these awards are missing from his separation document is a mystery. You have to understand though that millions of these documents were prepared in the 1945/46 time frame, all by hand and using only paper records. Mistakes and omission are not uncommon. I'm also sure that a lot of guys signed them without too much scrutiny because they were in a hurry to get home.

Worldwar_Collector

CPL Rudolph J. Utzig was awarded the BSM under GO#42, 1945, 82 ABNDIV

He was also wounded twice, receiving the PH w/OLC under GO#12, 1944, 505PIR and GO#22, 1945, 505PIR

Why these awards are missing from his separation document is a mystery. You have to understand though that millions of these documents were prepared in the 1945/46 time frame, all by hand and using only paper records. Mistakes and omission are not uncommon. I'm also sure that a lot of guys signed them without too much scrutiny because they were in a hurry to get home.

Thank you for the information! The missing information is certainly strange. But as you said, mistakes do happen.

That's great that "KADET" was able to provide the info...General Order numbers and dates. He must have the 82d ABN Div Index of GO or the 505th Para. Inf Reg. books by Brandon T. Wiegand. I have one of the 86th ID

As far as mistakes......I agree...….I would think that all the soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines wanted to do was get home....and have a normal life.