Low number WWI PH

kkevin2004

I recently acquired this named and numbered PH from a dealer. While I really wasn't in the market for another WWI PH, what piqued my interest on this one was the low number (#182). I have never seen a number this low and was curious if anyone on the forum personally owned or had ever seen one this low. Looking forward to things getting back to normal so I can get the "award card" pulled for this medal.

post-81215-0-62328800-1586564211_thumb.jpg

post-81215-0-70962000-1586564234_thumb.jpg

Bodes,

I have an article in his local newspaper from 21 Feb 1919 as being "slightly wounded" so feel confident that this was awarded for WWI. Also, his WWI Victory Medal was part of the group.

Kevin

post-81215-0-44211100-1586569108_thumb.jpg

Mr. Robert,

That's impressive! I know MacArthur received number 1, but was there any rhyme or reason why numbers were assigned or was it first come first serve?

Kevin

dhcoleterracina

I thought I had a low one at #224 but at least it was a MSCC issued medal. Yours is especially good because it was awarded to someone in the ambulance service (if I remember correctly). The very low number is a bonus.

I thought I had a low one at #224 but at least it was a MSCC issued medal. Yours is especially good because it was awarded to someone in the ambulance service (if I remember correctly). The very low number is a bonus.

Yes, he was Ambulance Service. What does MSCC stand for?

Yes, he was Ambulance Service. What does MSCC stand for?

MSCC - Meritorious Service Citation Certificate.

I owned PH #100 (with small olc), which was for a wound received in the Philippines. In 1932, he was a colonel in the War Department, so he knew about the issue when it happened. This came with Silver Star #534 (with small olc), also for the Philippines.

PH's in three digits are rare and Noble's #182 is a nice complete group.

For what it is worth, and only because the OP has invited our input (I am not trying to hijack this post), here is PH #81 awarded to then 2nd Lt. Lawrence A. Quinn for wounds on Oct. 6, 1918 with the 2nd Division.

The number 81 is stamped on both sides of the medal for some reason.

Along side it is PH #104296 awarded when Lawrence A. Quinn, now a Colonel, was KIA November 5, 1942 in New Guinea while in command of the 126th Regiment, 32nd Division.

Once again, thanks for posting #182. If it was to a New Yorker I would have been competing for it.

post-2661-0-09566200-1586635921.jpg post-2661-0-36382400-1586635954.jpg

post-2661-0-28372100-1586635935.jpg

MSCC - Meritorious Service Citation Certificate.

I owned PH #100 (with small olc), which was for a wound received in the Philippines. In 1932, he was a colonel in the War Department, so he knew about the issue when it happened. This came with Silver Star #534 (with small olc), also for the Philippines.

Thanks for the clarification for MSCC. So #100 was awarded for wounds in the Philippines. I think the low number of mine was why Bodes was thinking #182 may have been awarded earlier than WW1. Good info!

PH's in three digits are rare and Noble's #182 is a nice complete group.

For what it is worth, and only because the OP has invited our input (I am not trying to hijack this post), here is PH #81 awarded to then 2nd Lt. Lawrence A. Quinn for wounds on Oct. 6, 1918 with the 2nd Division.

The number 81 is stamped on both sides of the medal for some reason.

Along side it is PH #104296 awarded when Lawrence A. Quinn, now a Colonel, was KIA November 5, 1942 in New Guinea while in command of the 126th Regiment, 32nd Division.

Once again, thanks for posting #182. If it was to a New Yorker I would have been competing for it.

attachicon.gifQ1.jpg attachicon.gifQ3.jpg

attachicon.gifQ4.jpg

No worries about hijacking my post. This is exactly what I wanted to see-examples of low number PH's. What a rarity to have two Purple Hearts named to the same individual from two different wars, with one an ultra low number and the other a KIA Colonel. Fantastic group you have there!

dhcoleterracina

Kevin, when the Purple Heart was re-created in 1932 the intent was to create an award "for merit". Being wounded was secondary. My Heart #224 was awarded to an artillery captain in WW1 who distinguished himself. He was awarded the medal for merit and that's how we get the MSCC. He wasn't wounded, it was awarded for Meritorious Service. One estimate is that there were only around 1500 MSCC Hearts awarded before the Purple Heart became exclusively an award for wounds.

Kevin, when the Purple Heart was re-created in 1932 the intent was to create an award "for merit". Being wounded was secondary. My Heart #224 was awarded to an artillery captain in WW1 who distinguished himself. He was awarded the medal for merit and that's how we get the MSCC. He wasn't wounded, it was awarded for Meritorious Service. One estimate is that there were only around 1500 MSCC Hearts awarded before the Purple Heart became exclusively an award for wounds.

Being wounded was deemed a meritous act, hence those WIA's from previous wars could apply for the medal....Since there were no awards at that time for receiving war wounds, the PH took up the role...Having said this, PH's awarded for incidences not involving wounds are rare and desirable....Bodes

Just to add to the low numbered PH thread...

PH No.192 issued to Donald Lee Lester, Co.L 109th Inf (PA) reported missing/wounded around 15 July 1918 Marne, returned recovered later POW. Bearing in mind Co.L's stalwart defense of their salient during hand to hand fighting, for me anyway it's a meritorious award!

(part of a larger grouping of other brother's WW1 and father's Civil War medals)

post-154642-0-11388400-1586860460_thumb.jpg

Being wounded was deemed a meritous act, hence those WIA's from previous wars could apply for the medal....Since there were no awards at that time for receiving war wounds, the PH took up the role...Having said this, PH's awarded for incidences not involving wounds are rare and desirable....Bodes

Thanks to you guys for the explanation of receiving the PH for meritous acts, and not strictly for being wounded.

Just to add to the low numbered PH thread...

PH No.192 issued to Donald Lee Lester, Co.L 109th Inf (PA) reported missing/wounded around 15 July 1918 Marne, returned recovered later POW. Bearing in mind Co.L's stalwart defense of their salient during hand to hand fighting, for me anyway it's a meritorious award!

(part of a larger grouping of other brother's WW1 and father's Civil War medals)

Thanks for sharing a pic of your PH that is so close in number to the one I posted. I agree, whether it is labeled as an award of merit, it should be!

Here is an article from 1917. Looks like he may have been Ambulance Service.

KASTAUFFER,

Thanks for the info. When I bought it, the thought was that he was Ambulance Service, but this confirms it.

Kevin

• 7 months later...