M1 Carbine Look at the cartouche

collector

me too - would like to know if the stock is a Rock-Ola- stock as

Rock-Ola was only a few miles away from Quality Hardware and Rock-Ola supplied almost all of Quality Hardware stocks & Hand guards and barrels.

here is the stamp on a 155XXXX and it doesn't look anything that the one above

The only thing I could find in my stored m1 carbine notes is this and if so - very hard stock to find

early RMC produced for Quality Hardware I-Cut stock with the large acceptance stamp, highwood, has the very large crossed cannon on the right side and "RMC" in the sling cut

post-80886-0-09815300-1586551389_thumb.jpg

Hello mdk0911,

Both stock photos you show are Quality H.M.C. ordnance acceptance, crossed cannon marks, not Rock-Ola accepted ordnance stamps.

Just to verify, the stocks are manufactured by Rock-Ola (RMC) for Quality and are marked in the sling cut out either RMC only for some of the very first production of Quality with the "large wheel" cartouche, as shown in your photo. The vast majority of Rock-Ola's stocks made for Quality are marked Q-RMC in the sling cut out with the small crossed cannon stamp as you show in your first photo.

As for the GB auction Carbine being discussed above, the seller, (who is plenty knowledgable about what he's selling) again does not provide photos of the sling recess for identification of stock maker. Only says it's Rock-Ola. Rock-Ola did not put their own crossed cannon stamp on stocks to be sent to other manufacturers. And never in this location. Buyer beware!

Regards

Dirt Detective

Here are pictures of the stock markings on the M1 Carbine in the auction being talked about. Dont know why he would leave out photos of the sling cut.

post-2677-0-97836900-1586623939.jpg

post-2677-0-68970600-1586623953.jpg

Forgot to mention this is the same seller on the 1941 !911A1. Not showing some things on that one either., inside grips, slide and barrel details.

A couple other things to look at (or should I say guess at since photos are not close enough to see clearly). The rear sight dovetail has a rust color where you would normally see punch or stake marks that may have been filled in with weld and re-finished. No close-up of rear sight markings. No close-up of sides of front sight. Butt plate is recent manufacture. I would lay money on the stock being a new (as in recent) production stock.

I follow and save his Carbine auctions and the last 6 have all brought over 5K. So if he keeps getting bids like this from uneducated buyers, I think you'll continue to see these "Museum pieces".

Did the early Quality Hardware marked stocks (w/I-cut, high wood) also come with the 'RMC' marked handguards?.....Bodes

Yes, the early QH hand guards with deep sighting groove were just marked RMC.

I dont really even look at on line auctions for firearms.Still find them out here in the wild and at times very reasonable compared to all the fees and such with auctions.These two Inlands were both bought at area shows...Buying somehitn on an auction where you cant have it in hand isnt somehitng Im prone do do with a firearm...to much that cant be seen or to much can be in hanced.There was a very large 3 part auction in our area from a long time buyer and gun smith...all went on proxi bid.I feel sorry(a little) for the people that paid high retail plus for firearms then to find out they were re blued or severely pitted in areas that were not photographed.

I will just stick to the local shows or other collectors I know where a person can have it in hand.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/185970-latest-m1-carbine/?hl=inland

I dont really even look at on line auctions for firearms.Still find them out here in the wild and at times very reasonable compared to all the fees and such with auctions.These two Inlands were both bought at area shows...Buying somehitn on an auction where you cant have it in hand isnt somehitng Im prone do do with a firearm...to much that cant be seen or to much can be in hanced.There was a very large 3 part auction in our area from a long time buyer and gun smith...all went on proxi bid.I feel sorry(a little) for the people that paid high retail plus for firearms then to find out they were re blued or severely pitted in areas that were not photographed.

I will just stick to the local shows or other collectors I know where a person can have it in hand.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/185970-latest-m1-carbine/?hl=inland

absolutely right on! Nothing like in hand inspection before shelling $$$.

The butt plate is from a Iver Johnson commercial carbine from the time period of 1978-1992. Check out the dot pattern and number of dots, they are identical; www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_ij05.html

Hope the link works

Chuck