WW1 or a Earlier Tag

muddyboots

I picked this up this morning. Im not too familiar with early Army tags. I would appreciate some help with this one.

post-24366-0-76524500-1586533014.jpeg

Marchville1918

I would read the front of the tag Cedric A Rice, Private, MG Co (machine gun company) 4th S D INF (4th South Dakota Infantry regiment which was a National Guard unit) and he was soldier number 29 on the company roster.

Marchville1918

I googled 4th south dakota inf mexican border roster and found his name. He was from a town named Parker. This is the kind of tag that the national guard used just before ww1. Later a serial number would have appeared on the tag.

Awesome gentlemen!! And thank you. It’s a part of history that I am not that familiar with and will enjoy reading about it while on stay at home status but I am always on call.

I have found his WW1 registration card and I think it has his discharge from the South Dakota 4th Regiment at 9-12-1918.

post-24366-0-38549900-1586822428.jpeg

• 1 month later...
EmeraldBat

Any thoughts why a man born in Vermont and raised in Massachusetts would end up in the South Dakota National Guard?

And, I wonder who Mrs. J. W. Temple was? He got married in 1918 to Jennie Leila Davidson ...

muddyboots
1 hour ago, EmeraldBat said:

Any thoughts why a man born in Vermont and raised in Massachusetts would end up in the South Dakota National Guard?

And, I wonder who Mrs. J. W. Temple was? He got married in 1918 to Jennie Leila Davidson ...

I have been wondering the same thing about who she was and why the South Dakota N.G.. I pretty sure he was in trouble for desertion and caught in Virginia in 1908 and returned to Fort Warren.

4E95E09D-C8AF-4D27-A17F-BD22C93B1F5C.jpeg