WW2 Navy and USMC Uniform Ribbon Size Question

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hello

I have a question about ww2 Navy and USMC uniforms. Was it standard for them to only wear the 1/2 inch ribbon size, or was it possible for personnel to wear the army/aaf size ribbons? If they did wear the army/aaf size ribbons, was it regulation or just something some guys did? And when did the navy and USMC switch to the army/aaf size ribbons? I know now all the services have the same size, but when was it switched. And did the Coast Guard and Merchant Marines have the same regulations during ww2?

Thanks

Hunt

The switch was with the 1947 regulations. I have never seen a legit wwii navy/marine uniform with 3/8 ribbons. The Army however sometimes used the 1/2.

I read in a memoir that the Navy commander at San Francisco was a stickler for ribbons. Vets that had never worn ribbons had to put them on or be fined.

olivedrab1970

Hello

I have a question about ww2 Navy and USMC uniforms. Was it standard for them to only wear the 1/2 inch ribbon size, or was it possible for personnel to wear the army/aaf size ribbons? If they did wear the army/aaf size ribbons, was it regulation or just something some guys did? And when did the navy and USMC switch to the army/aaf size ribbons? I know now all the services have the same size, but when was it switched. And did the Coast Guard and Merchant Marines have the same regulations during ww2?

Thanks

Hunt

The switch was with the 1947 regulations. I have never seen a legit wwii navy/marine uniform with 3/8 ribbons. The Army however sometimes used the 1/2.

Like MOST uniforms that are found these days the ribbons and pinned on insignia is usually missing. The 10% (rough estimate) still are complete or just missing 1 or 2 insignia. USMC uniforms are usually stripped as to the nature of Marines ( I being one) who enjoy displaying and wearing those EGA insignia on pretty much everything! USMC ribbons which are one of my favorite things to collect are harder to come by for the 1/2 WWII racks, I have found one USMC uniform thus far intact with all insignia and ribbons original and as mentioned by ( Paul70) 3/8 ribbons are post war after 1946 I believe with the uniform regulation change including division patches. I have found in a USMC jacket pocket 3/8 ribbons pin back from a WWII Marine for WWII Victory and American Campaign ribbon.

Robin-

I have seen period photos of marines wearing 3/8 ribbons mixed in so I think it did happen but not very often. Whether it be that they didn’t have the 1/2 style yet or just put on whatever they had. Wasn’t there a picture of John Basilone with 3/8 ribbon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurt Barickman

Most often the 1/2 and 3/8s were rarely worn. Almost all the USMC groups or uniforms I have had from veterans or their families were the 1/2 types and cloth versions.

Kurt

huntssurplus

Could anyone post any period photos of the 3/8th being worn? And so that means 1/2 inch are all WW2 period?

Hunt

I’m unable to download the photo at the moment, but Mitchell Paige wore 3/8 ribbons ( American Defense, China Service and MC Expeditionary) on his Aussie battle jacket when he was awarded the Medal of Honor in Australia after Guadalcanal.

huntssurplus

Hard to tell.

Here is a picture of R. V. Burgin in uniform in 1946, you know they are half inch as the same uniform is pictured in this thread with half inch: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/105120-wwii-ided-marine-dress-blues/

post-165862-0-04441800-1586575069_thumb.jpg

They look like they could be 3/8th in the Basilone photo. I'll do some searching to see if I can find his Alphas in a museum. Not sure if they are with the family or lost to time though.Would love to see more photos. And thank you to everyone else that contributed, for member "FriarChuck" I believe I have seen multiple USMC uniforms with the 3/8th PUC while the rest were 1/2 inch. Not sure why this is, maybe a large amount of PUC's were made in 3/8? I'll dig out one of my USMC uniforms that might have 3/8th ribbons. It has a 2nd Marine Division patch that was removed so maybe it was used after the new regulation in 1946/1947?

Hunt

huntssurplus

Forgot to mention, in the Burgin photo the ribbons appear to definitely be taller leading me to believe Basilone is in fact wearing 3/8th.

Hunt

Forgot to mention, in the Burgin photo the ribbons appear to definitely be taller leading me to believe Basilone is in fact wearing 3/8th.

Hunt

I would be pretty confident that John Basilone would be wearing 1/2 inch ribbons. I have seen other photos of him and they look like half inch. I would doubt that they even made a 3/8th Navy PUC during the war because it wasn't needed because no soldier would be wearing it with all of their other ribbons.

I would be pretty confident that John Basilone would be wearing 1/2 inch ribbons. I have seen other photos of him and they look like half inch. I would doubt that they even made a 3/8th Navy PUC during the war because it wasn't needed because no soldier would be wearing it with all of their other ribbons.

I guess I was looking more at the top ribbon (MOH) I think. It looks different than the 3 ribbon rack below it.

Kurt Barickman

1/2 and the 3/8s examples are those veterans who requested or were given them post war by several years.

Kurt

olivedrab1970

Here's at least one Army Man wearing the large Navy types, Audie L. Murphy.

attachicon.gif47ecbacac493e6ed78b185047e9532e4.jpg

This is a GREAT pic of Murph! My sister was recently married in the old cowboy town that once stood on A.M. ranch outside of Lake Elsinore, CA. I have a few pics of some memorabilia that was inside including a costume from one of the western movies.

Robin-

huntssurplus

So were 3/8ths not used for Navy/USMC during WW2 then?

Here’s one from my collection, the PUC looks to be 3/8 while the rest are 1/2 inch. I’m confident these are original ww2 period, or at least veteran applied.

Hunt

post-165862-15866426860846.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk