Odds and Ends of Bolos and Machetes

bayonetman

I don't really collect the bolos and machetes, but it seems some have followed me home over the years. Not sure if anyone is interested, but since I had them on the board I thought I might post a photo for those that might be.

DSC00763.jpg

Top row left: Model 1905 Hospital Corps dated 1912.

Top row right: Collins 1005 Engineer Machete, Type 1 (Horn handles with 4 rivets) marked to the 5th Engineers.

2nd row left: Model 1909 "Large Bolo" Springfield dated 1910 (thanks Greg!)

2nd row right: similar to Collins #1232 Bolo or Splint Knife but made by Kelley Axe and Tool of Charleston, WV believed for the Civilian Conservation Corps circa 1934. Point has been modified for unknown reason. According to the "story" when I acquired this specimen, it was carried by a soldier during WW2 in Burma. Not impossible but unverified.

3rd row left: USMC "Corpsmans" round tip "bolo" knife by Cattaraugus.

3rd row right: Case? unmarked US Smatchet Type 2

4th row left: Model 1910 "Small Bolo" Springfield dated 1912, grip stamped 1 CAV NY

4th row right: Model 1917 CT by American Cutlery Corp.

5th row left: Collins Model 22 Machete, 25 inch blade, black horn handles. Purchased from the estate of William (Bill) Russell Williams, claimed to be carried by him in the USMC in WW2. On the back of the sheath throat is scratched: B. Williams / 3rd Spec Batt / May 23, 1942. According to his service record he was in the 3/6 marines.

5th row center: Collins #30 USN 20 inch Machete. This one was brought back by my father, obtained by him on Guam while a member of the 144th Construction Battalion. The blade has been polished and the black stain on the hardwood grip has been removed, why and by whom I don't know except that it was this way when it returned with him.

5th row right: Model 1942 by Disston with olive green plastic grip dated 1945.

Bayonetman,

I'm interested--thank you for showing them. I like the way you display them. I need to do something with mine, along those lines.

B..man,

I've got every one except the Smatchet and I don't collect these either...

jungle.jpg

Need a scabbard for your 1887 Hospital Knife? I've got a crate of these which I just found.

1887Sheaths.jpg

Sorry Bayonetman. Just reread my post and it can out sounding wrong. You obviously have done a much better job of organizing your stuff than I have. I do have extra 1887 Hospital sheaths if anyone needs one.

Bill

I don't really collect the bolos and machetes, but it seems some have followed me home over the years. Not sure if anyone is interested, but since I had them on the board I thought I might post a photo for those that might be.

DSC00763.jpg

Top row left: Model 1905 Hospital Corps dated 1912.

Top row right: Collins 1005 Engineer Machete, Type 1 (Horn handles with 4 rivets) marked to the 5th Engineers.

2nd row left: Model 1909 "Large Bolo" Springfield dated 1910 (thanks Greg!)

2nd row right: similar to Collins #1232 Bolo or Splint Knife but made by Kelley Axe and Tool of Charleston, WV believed for the Civilian Conservation Corps circa 1934. Point has been modified for unknown reason. According to the "story" when I acquired this specimen, it was carried by a soldier during WW2 in Burma. Not impossible but unverified.

3rd row left: USMC "Corpsmans" round tip "bolo" knife by Cattaraugus.

3rd row right: Case? unmarked US Smatchet Type 2

4th row left: Model 1910 "Small Bolo" Springfield dated 1912, grip stamped 1 CAV NY

4th row right: Model 1917 CT by American Cutlery Corp.

5th row left: Collins Model 22 Machete, 25 inch blade, black horn handles. Purchased from the estate of William (Bill) Russell Williams, claimed to be carried by him in the USMC in WW2. On the back of the sheath throat is scratched: B. Williams / 3rd Spec Batt / May 23, 1942. According to his service record he was in the 3/6 marines.

5th row center: Collins #30 USN 20 inch Machete. This one was brought back by my father, obtained by him on Guam while a member of the 144th Construction Battalion. The blade has been polished and the black stain on the hardwood grip has been removed, why and by whom I don't know except that it was this way when it returned with him.

5th row right: Model 1942 by Disston with olive green plastic grip dated 1945.

Nice collection. I love the way you display them with the edge up. Smart. thumbsup.gif

I only have one so far (that I have a photograph of) and it is a 1945-dated Tru-Temper machete:

Macheteleftside.jpg

The other I just acquired recently is a Woodsman's PAL with canvas cover, two instruction field manuals and the honing stone. I'll share pictures of this one as soon as I get to snapping some photos :D.

Tim

Very, very nice collections ! twothumbup.gif I am willing to guess that there are many others that were made and issued the we could still learn about.

Thank you for shairing

Tony