Question abt Victory Medal

Lightech

Did everyone who served qualify for the Victory Medal? I have three ancestors who served in WWI and three in WWII. Those who had discharge papers, none of them have a victory medal listed (but they were discharged early due to various medical conditions). If I was creating a display, can I accurately include the victory medal because they served during the time period?

tdogchristy90

WW1: for award to all personnel who served in active duty with the armed forces between 6 April, 1917 and 11 November 1918.

WW2: to all members of the armed forces who served at least one day active federal service between 7 December 1941 and 31 December 1946.

From the Call of Duty: military awards and decorations of the United States of America.

They were discharged and completely left the service while the wars were ongoing it seems to us, if that's the case no Victory Medals are listed because the awards didn't exist yet. We assume though that they could have retroactively applied for the medals to be sent to them or something in this vein in the post war years, in the former in the 1920s-30s, in the latter, in the late 40s-50s.

I applied to have my grandfather's medals replaced. the Victory Medal is not listed on his DD-214 but when I got back the package from the National Archives they included it because he actually served during World War II