Helmets in Use - WW2 Era Armor and WW2 M1 Steel Helmet

MWalsh

Captain J. McMahon of the U.S. Ninth Army carrying a little German girl over a destroyed bridge. May 1, 1945, Tangermünde, Germany.

Color by Christos Kaplanis

image.png.5c5e31a3e4ae078c6d6a1d8d9f09642c.png

On 12/31/2021 at 2:05 AM, doyler said:

A GI of the 65th Infantry Division in Katharinberg, Germany on April 9, 1945

Wearing a German parka 

image.png.7a6c6623ac11cf3629979baedc4bab6b.png

Great pic! My Grandfather was 65th (259th IR, K Co.) and remarked how from Camp Luckystrike to just after Saaralutern, he wore German parkas and snow camo if able. They were more comfortable and more effective in his opinion

A Combat photographer with a Wide Mesh Helmet Net, location unknown, could be the Marshalls right, but if he is Army or Marines?.

I believe he is an Army Signal Corps camera man attached to the 7th ID on Kwajalein. The net style and camo paint on the pot were typical for the division at this time. At the 2:24 mark in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NQ_JyvaszU you can see that he is also wearing the black/white identification vest used by the 7th ID on Kwajalein.

Tom

9 hours ago, GITom1944 said:

I believe he is an Army Signal Corps camera man attached to the 7th ID on Kwajalein. The net style and camo paint on the pot were typical for the division at this time. At the 2:24 mark in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NQ_JyvaszU you can see that he is also wearing the black/white identification vest used by the 7th ID on Kwajalein.

Tom

Good job  Tom, wasn't aware this was a still from an Army film, reason we thought he might of been Marines as well is some wore similar nets in the Mashshalls.

Joe Lesnieski who would be in  Co E 506th PIR, not sure where and when taken. He's got that chalk marking on his steel pot, something generally seen as a POE mark.

joe lesnieski band of bros.jpg

On 1/17/2022 at 6:49 PM, doyler said:

Captain J. McMahon of the U.S. Ninth Army carrying a little German girl over a destroyed bridge. May 1, 1945, Tangermünde, Germany.

is that a broomhandle above his knife?

JerryTheGerman
On 1/17/2022 at 3:49 PM, doyler said:

Interesting he has a C96 Mauser.

Raid at Cabanatuan / The Great Raid
77 years ago today on January 30, 1945

LIFE Magazine Archives - Carl Mydans Photographer

Note the adjustable rear site on the carbine which started to be placed into service in late 1944. Also the knife on belt. Also wearing a USN HBT shirt in the P41 cut. Also a Halwle/ fiber he;lmet liner

image.png.d959fff80d1c4d09b77485721b896995.png

1 hour ago, doyler said:

Raid at Cabanatuan / The Great Raid
77 years ago today on January 30, 1945

LIFE Magazine Archives - Carl Mydans Photographer

Note the adjustable rear site on the carbine which started to be placed into service in late 1944. Also the knife on belt. Also wearing a USN HBT shirt in the P41 cut. Also a Halwle/ fiber he;lmet liner

image.png.d959fff80d1c4d09b77485721b896995.png

Yet another good photo, and good catches on the equipment. On my one and only trip so far to visit in-laws in Munoz, I didn't know I was so close to the Cabanatuan camp memorial. If I did I would have asked to visit it.  Maybe next time.  

Mikie

Dad brought this one back from the Philippines. He was on the troop ship coming home when they announced  VE day. He was second in battalion to come home on points. 1940-1945. 

Aug 42 Guadalcanal, New Guinea & the Philippines 45. 

IMG_3708.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG

IMG_3710.JPG

21 minutes ago, 268th C.A. said:

Dad brought this one back from the Philippines. He was on the troop ship coming home when they announced  VE day. He was second in battalion to come home on points. 1940-1945. 

Aug 42 Guadalcanal, New Guinea & the Philippines 45. 

IMG_3708.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG

IMG_3710.JPG

Very cool, thanks for sharing that!

No problem, Dad didn't keep much, This was one of them....It was folded three times. I unfolded it and put it this cover. He had it in his dresser drawer as I grew up.  

RIP Dad 13 Feb 2007. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

Excuse my naiveness, but is that a hawley liner?

It sure is, standard issue to 1st Marine Division in 1942, still very common in 44 and 45. My hunch is that any low pressure liners you see issued to 1MARDIV Marines, it’s a good chance they are “lids” (reinforcements).