Helmets in Use - WW2 Era Armor and WW2 M1 Steel Helmet

MWalsh

I've got an album of 131 photos from a Signal Corp photographer that I'm going to start scanning in. Here's the first one, dated November 20th 1944. Quite a few of the photos show helmets in use. 

mssapp@prab.us.com_20210707_052450_001.jpg

20210707_093934.jpg

Here's a interesting one, a GI of a Tank Unit at a dance, Tanker is in full field gear, Tank Helmet and all, not sure where this is, it is in California, so maybe at the barracks area of the Desert Training Center. as others are in Class As maybe he came right in along with others as the came back from the field and the dance was in full swing, I wouldn't think this is in Los Angeles, like a a USO Club or even the Hollywood Canteen, unless the crew drove there like Dan Aykroyd and Company in a M3 Lee Tank in the Comedy Classic 1941 762580096_emoticonlaugh.png.deb1204a8ebacd1f9c904892223f0e68.png

Division and date unknown, as there were several Armored Divisions that were stationed there at certain times to train, even we image Separate Tank Battalions, but seeing he wears the Armored Triangle on the chest he's of a division, one of them that did wear them there at certain times, BUT Not the 2nd Armored Division as they were back east and never did go out to California to train.

yttt.png.812d8a6f7cf9deeb357c16871c0d7691.pngcanvas.png.b8039ab119381d35a31ef99381f1b910.png

• 2 weeks later...

BRO painted helmet from December 3rd, 1944 in Vicht, Germany. As you can see from the map, they still had quite a ways to go to reach Berlin (Vicht is the location marker on the bottom left).

Picture2.png.c9507db93221dfc8f2e0a3076290582c.pngPicture5.png.ec77e56fb97ba19111e9982712558878.pngPicture1.jpg.c7899b8b7c68fb2a8574e244bdea70ac.jpgPicture3.png.f0b1975c4e242d3942e923ed7c871e3f.png

Here's one of my favorite helmets from the album, an 8th Infantry Division helmet from March 12th 1945, less than 2 months from Germany's unconditional surrender. Insignia appears to be a decal.

Capture 1.JPG

Capture 3.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Helmet of Maj. Jack Wilhm, XO of 2nd Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment, 8th ID. He seems to be carefully watching the soldier holding the warhead. The warhead-holding soldiers helmet appears to be a swivel bail, with flat chinstrap buckle. Also notice the Lieutenants helmet in the background.

Alec

19661A.png

19661B.png

image.png

image.png

I messed up the names of the wearers of the helmet, it should read:

Helmet of Brig Gen Bryant E Moore. He seems to be carefully watching Major Jack Wilhm holding the warhead 🧐 Major Wilhm's helmet appears to be a swivel bail, with flat chinstrap buckle. Also notice the Lieutenants helmet in the background.

.. oops

-Alec 

• 1 month later...

Always on the look out for Informal portraits where either the Steel Helmet is worn or the Tanker Helmet, so found another.

1st Sgt. Vic Morman Headquarters Battery, 914th Field Artillery Battalion, 89th Infantry Division.

njujk.jpg

• 3 months later...

Does this count, sure why not.

A Talker Helmet worn by one one Austen Wah, Chinese American, crewman aboard the Destroyer USS Breese off Okinawa.

mjyt.jpg

Great shot of Maj Gen Leroy Irwin Commander 5th Infantry Division near Metz in like late November 44, Irwin's helmet has the division's Red Diamond painted on it, with what looks like a thin dark border, with his Stars painted on the sides of it, note to the blemishes of when this helmet was worn with a net, Irwin removing the net for whatever reason, maybe to frayed???

gtyr.jpg

Couple photos of Airborne troops wearing Airborne helmets.

First is Sgt. Charles Wahler, 101st Airbone, HQ Co. Photo was taken in Bastogne, as noted. Visible is a khaki chin-cup.

Second photo shows two AB troops, one of whom is wearing an AB helmet with leather chin-cup. I assume he's wearing an M2? The vet whose group the photo came from, jumped in Overlord and Market Garden. Given the freshness of their uniforms, I'm going to assume this is before Overlord. 

Additional Photos (6).jpg

Photos (15).jpg

On 12/12/2021 at 10:40 PM, patches said:

Does this count, sure why not.

A Talker Helmet worn by one one Austen Wah, Chinese American, crewman aboard the Destroyer USS Breese off Okinawa.

mjyt.jpg

A Boot Camp portrait of him.

200521-austin-wah-in-uniform-se-132p.jpg

10 minutes ago, patches said:

Bob Dole, in that well known portrait in Steel Helmet, never do see where it was taken when we see this one.

0c7931761ecdce05461678878e43af72.jpg

At first I thought it looked nothing like the Bob Dole we all know. But after staring at it for a few secondsa, well of course it's Bob Dole. 

On 12/13/2021 at 5:21 AM, patches said:

Great shot of Maj Gen Leroy Irwin Commander 5th Infantry Division near Metz in like late November 44, Irwin's helmet has the division's Red Diamond painted on it, with what looks like a thin dark border, with his Stars painted on the sides of it, note to the blemishes of when this helmet was worn with a net, Irwin removing the net for whatever reason, maybe to frayed???

gtyr.jpg

To me it also looks like he had the leather liner chin strap fixed across the dome at one time. Something like this

post-3653-1322273048.jpg.0c0b4f29e34ea888f0e6bae82ecb9b04.jpg

But then again I maybe seeing things that aren't there.

I thought that too, but the shadow looks pretty thick, I think it's more likely he had his steel shell chinstraps tucked into the helmet net,

Great thread

Attached is a photo I came across in a book covering the liberation of Belgium.

Brit tankers wearing the US M38 crash helmet. The tank hunter/destroyer is American. Kind of makes me think they may have supplied helmets with the tanks for the crew, prior to shipping them. Or they were simply more convenient to use with the American radios. 

Found a picture of a Polish tanker wearing one as well. 

Pretty interesting pictures

liberationbelgium5.jpg

liberationbelgium3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...