MWalsh

• 1 month later...
Powerhouse
On 4/18/2020 at 3:14 AM, Burning Hazard said:

Armored Liners

post-8715-0-36839900-1587172490.jpg

Hello,

Do you know were this photo was taken?

Major General Lunsford Errett Oliver, commander of the 5th Armored Division during most of the war wears a camo pot it seems, also seems to mimic the pre early war fashion of wearing dark colored cloth discs on garrison caps by some officers right.

Lunsford_E._Oliver.jpg

• 1 month later...

Three Crewman of a winter painted M8 Armored Car wearing the British Tanker Helmet, one, the one bounding up on the vehicle on the right seems to wear his with a camouflage net  Western Germany February 1945, unit unknown.

dragon.jpg

• 2 months later...

nhyt.jpg.f8c5139f1b208c119a949507d5669f98.jpg

Going with my preference to post Informal Portraits of men wearing helmets, let me add this one, one William Orme, Arkansas,, I guess on a transport out of NYC or still dockside, the markings probably are some kind of control codes/markings from the New York Port of Embarkation.  Orme, Infantry, was on his his way to England, here he will be assigned Co H 175th Infantry, 29th Infantry Division, D-Day to VE-Day. Photo sometime in early April 44 would be my guess (says he was in his unit two months before D-Day). I,m not sure if every man that was on a troopship had their helmets marked like this or only men who were selected as guides (If that's the correct term), rank not withstanding.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I
On 4/15/2020 at 8:33 PM, Alex Boban said:

Here's one of my favorite. I didn't save the caption unfortunately, but if memory serves, this photograph was taken in Italy in May 1944, minutes after their tank was destroyed.

post-157805-0-78735100-1587000767_thumb.jpg

Crew safe! Their tank knocked out near Cisterna in the opening phase of the beachhead battle, this American tank crew returned to safety after a hazardous trip through no man’s land. Relaxing after their tight squeeze are Pvt. Floyd W. Shelton, Wichita, Kansas, lighting cigarette of Pvt. Vassar Nance, Leahville, Arkansas, and (standing left) Pvt. Donald Jones, Dexter, New York, and Cpl. Earl L. Larson, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Cisterna, Italy. 24 May 1944

In the color photo with the armored insignia, the man on the left is then-Brigadier General Maurice Rose.  Rose was the Assistant Division Commander of the 2nd Armored Division, and became the Division Commander of the 3rd Armored Division.  He is often called "the best WWII general that you have never heard of."  He was killed in 1945, just weeks before the war's end.

I can't quite make out the number on the armored division markings.  I know the 3AD had paper "decals" that were glued/varnished onto the helmets and look like the ones shown, but I don't know if 2AD did.  I also don't know if Rose assumed command of the 3AD as a Brigadier General, or if he was promoted to Major General after he assumed command.

No matter - great photo!  Thanks for sharing it.

Steve

Cap Camouflage Pattern I
8 hours ago, Steve B. said:

In the color photo with the armored insignia, the man on the left is then-Brigadier General Maurice Rose.  Rose was the Assistant Division Commander of the 2nd Armored Division, and became the Division Commander of the 3rd Armored Division.  He is often called "the best WWII general that you have never heard of."  He was killed in 1945, just weeks before the war's end.

I can't quite make out the number on the armored division markings.  I know the 3AD had paper "decals" that were glued/varnished onto the helmets and look like the ones shown, but I don't know if 2AD did.  I also don't know if Rose assumed command of the 3AD as a Brigadier General, or if he was promoted to Major General after he assumed command.

No matter - great photo!  Thanks for sharing it.

Steve

Here he is as a Major General with the 3rd ID spearhead paper decal

mg_rose_award_ceremony___obverse.jpg.e1f69fa418e4a19e29ead39df3206734.jpg

chaplain-graveside-for-mg-m-rose.jpg.6cce68509ea04919bd63d3fb0b2f2a67.jpg

Here are men at his funeral wearing the same 3rd AD Spearhead decals.

Here he is as a Major General with the 3rd ID spearhead paper decal

Thanks!  I have seen both of those photos before, but the color photo shown earlier was new to me.  

He was a great man.

• 2 months later...

One Walton Ababurko of Fredericksburg VA at some unknown post, date unknown, wears the interesting combo of Jeep Cap with the Helmet Liner, Chin Strap under chin, Ababurko went overseas, date and unit unknown, and is KIA, tried looking for unit and date, but oddly found no info.

Walton Ababurko.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Guys ... is there a master thread here on USMF of M1 Period Photos for reference.  I see Medical ... Painted..... etc....pinned above but is there some other thread perhaps you guys have been adding to over the years? I would love to contribute as well.  Let me know and thank you!

Z

• 4 months later...

Wearing the Tanker Helmet is The Father of the U.S. Army Armored Forces Maj Gen Adna R. Chaffee Jr. I Armored Corps 1940, General Chaffee Dies in Service in August 1941, cancer. It would of been interesting to see what role he would of played in the upcoming war if he didn't die that way.T

The  Chaffee Tank is named after him by the way, and not what some might think  named after his famous Father, General Adna Chaffee Sr

Adna_R._Chaffee,_Jr..jpg

The Rooster
On 9/19/2020 at 6:39 AM, ArchangelDM said:

Super 6th pacific helmet 

167DBC47-0B03-4B34-8431-65B0474FF1C2.jpeg

Dean, thats awesome !!!!

ArchangelDM
2 minutes ago, The Rooster said:

Dean, thats awesome !!!!

Thanks Dave 

I hope your well my Friend 

• 4 weeks later...
iron bender

I bought this pic in Lubbock in 1997 at a junk store. Never researched but it's all there for the taking. Maybe I need to be more proactive...and it's taken on my b-day 33 years early.

DSCN0100.JPG

DSCN0101.JPG

iron bender

Well it makes sense. Just looked him up and he's from Fisher, Tx. Enlisted at Ft. Walters over in Mineral Wells. Old guy being born in 1911. College guy too. Wonder if he went to Tech.