Little gold WWI US Aeronaut Wing

5thwingmarty

5thwingmarty

This one came in the other day. It is well made, definitely die struck but no hallmark or metal mark. Its only 1-1/2" wide so I am guessing sweetheart or an instructor cap piece.

post-96854-0-93277200-1586354700_thumb.jpg

5thwingmarty

Thanks for the comment. I should have noted that the little wing is actually gold finished. This is not just a case of my poor photography skills making a silver wing look gold.

Your miniature 1919-1921 gold finished Balloon Pilot wing badge could be very special.

Back in 1985 I was fortunate to receive a similar size gold finish Airship Pilot wing badge from Colonel Angier H. Foster (1896 - 1989). He was stationed at Fort Omaha, Nebraska between 1919 - 1921 and received free balloon pilot training there. In 1922 he attended the B & AS school at Langley Field, Virginia. Later that same year when the B & AS school was transferred to Scott Field, Illinois he was an Airship Pilot instructor and ground course director... until he transferring to heavier-than-air in 1925.

Colonel Foster was not married during his light-than-air service with the USAAS between 1919 - 1925 but during our first conversation in 1985 could not remember why or how he happened to have a miniature gold finished Airship Pilot badge. However, during a later conversation he did say he may have worn it on his service cap while at Scott Field.

Congratulations, you could very well have a 1919 - 1921 Balloon Pilot instructor wing badge.

post-4542-0-15992700-1586628386.jpg

5thwingmarty

Wow, thanks Cliff. My wing had no useful history to validate it, it just had the look of something that wasn't a cereal box prize. Comparing with yours they look like they could have come from the same maker. I wish something interesting from Scott would show up around here but I haven't seen anything from there on the MO side of the river. A friend's daughter is stationed there so I need to see if she can find any historical archives there with any photos or interesting records.

Comparing with yours they look like they could have come from the same maker. .

Marty, I haven't a clue who may have made the Balloon Pilot badge but could make a strong case that the Airship Pilot badge was made by Kinney & Company.

5thwingmarty

I have a couple of little Kinney Pilot wings to compare directly to. Here are a coup of side by side shots with a pilot wing of the same size. The overall feather details are very similar, but the details in the shoulder feathers differ. The catches are the same but the Pilot has a slightly heavier cammed pin.

post-96854-0-51273500-1586714908_thumb.jpg

5thwingmarty

And one more that might show the feather details better. Not close enough in the shoulders to definitely say its a Kinney, but in comparing to your Airship the shoulder feather pattern is also completely different than my 1.5" Kinney Pilot.

post-96854-0-55201100-1586715106_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a another small AIrship Pilot wing. It looks like the same one Cliff posted, but has the Kinney & Company hallmark.

1286517861_DSC_1113SmallAirship1sm.jpg.865c9044228ae0a3858dba0c3129c8f7.jpg

1593338751_DSC_1115smallairship2sm.jpg.0c007f7fe8e3cfd3814eb71dab02ec83.jpg

5thwingmarty

Thanks for adding photos of your hallmarked Airship.  I think the only 1.5" Kinney wing not in this thread now is the Naval Aviator.

Since Kinney made full-sized Pilot, Airship, Aeronaut and Naval Aviator wings, and also made hallmarked and non-hallmarked 1.5" Pilot, Airship and Naval Aviator wings, and also made the Pilot and Airship wings with both gold and silver finishes, I think it is reasonable to assume that Kinney also made my 1.5" Aeronaut wing.

Marty