Dropped a box while moving.....

CHASEUSA11B

CHASEUSA11B

2ce83870b4e473102cf1bd8f92a6bc35.jpg

09b76952257c064765ade11ed5a1d8c8.jpg

Had to move recently and I dropped a box which had some militaria in it. I thought everything was OK until I opened a bag and saw this.

Not exactly financially devastating but I hate to see history damaged especially considering what it represents.

It is somewhat interesting to see the construction method on the AF cross though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer about the breakage, but if your up for a challenge it looks like it might be lead solder which doesn’t take much heat so you might be able to put it back together.

Did the same many years back. Washington came off a Purple Heart medal. Roughed up both sides with a fine point chisel and used some super glue. Worked OK.

If you plan on using heat I'd say you'll ruin the finish.

G2

With the various industrial expoy glue these day I would try to reset the piece using an epoxy.

You may have to do a bit of fitting to get the items to sit flush..smooth out the old solder or try work it down.It is fairly soft material.It may even pop loose.

We have a local jewelry repair shop that does this kind of thing: getting it re-soldered instead of glued best preserves the historic nature of the cross.

CHASEUSA11B

Thank you for the input everyone. I think Ill wait and try to get it re-soldered. I definitely dont have the skills to do it myself

A small amount of JB-Weld might work best, it's available at any hardware store. Any heat may discolor the medal. I've used it on other metal items (metal house number plaque) and it worked VERY well! Just be sure to tag your piece as repaired.

CHASEUSA11B

A small amount of JB-Weld might work best, it's available at any hardware store. Any heat may discolor the medal. I've used it on other metal items (metal house number plaque) and it worked VERY well! Just be sure to tag your piece as repaired.

Thank you. Ill check that out