P42's

SouthShore 8754

SouthShore 8754

Hi Owen:

I plan to display on a mannequin in the near future. Just need to pick up a few more pieces of field gear to make it a proper display. Just was asking about a safe method of storing it in the mean time.

Just picked these up recently! Colors are still pretty vibrant. One thing I immediately noticed is that the p42 pants are extremely light and kind of flimsy compared to the p44's. Is this normal for these?

South Shore 8754,

The weight of the HBT material did not change between the two styles of trousers. It is the same weight HBT weave, there is the big enclosed pocket on the rear of the later style, along with additional metal snaps and pocket flaps that may cause the weight of the two styles to vary by a few ounces, otherwise the material is the same.

BTW, very nice looking set.

In all fairness

A very washed out piece feels lighter than a mint piece as it gets flimsy to the the hand

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthShore 8754

@ GIJive and kammo-man,

Thanks for answering the question I had for the post. I was noticing some prior posts on the forum that mentioned that the backs of the snap buttons on the pants had maker marks like "Scoville" or other companies. My set of 44's has them on the back, however this set of P42's in the post does not. I'll post pics below. Just would like to know if some pairs don't have makers marks for future reference, I'm sure that other future collectors who read this would also find it helpful as this is not mentioned in any of the reference books I own, (dungarees and frogskin or gruntgear).

I also know I may be overthinking this or nitpicking to the nth degree, but I did notice that the pac man patterns are different on the jacket and the trousers, if it was made from the same fabric rolls I wonder why they would look different. Ill post some examples below. I thought all the pac men on these looked the same, I realized they don't once I also compared my set of 44's to the 42's. Were both variants were made from the same fabric pattern? I also realize that quality control was probably not the greatest then lol.

SouthShore 8754

Here are a set of P44's on the right and the P42's on the left. Notice how the pacmen on both are different. There is a spot of fabric on the P44 that has one pacman like the examples displayed on the 42's on the left.

post-288119-0-06864800-1587088817_thumb.jpg

SouthShore 8754

The first photo is an Example of the pacman that are most prevalent on the pants. The second photo below is the only pacman that is like that on the trousers.

post-288119-0-94029300-1587089020.jpg

post-288119-0-14793400-1587089052_thumb.jpg

SouthShore 8754

Comparison of both patterns of the jungle side. Does anyone notice how the camo shapes look a little bit bigger on the P42's? I thought they were supposed to be the same size. The P44's are on the left and the P42's are on the right.

post-288119-0-02584200-1587089379_thumb.jpg