Uniform of 175th FA Battery Commander - SSM recipient in Tunisia

Recently got this grouping from another member on the forum and couldn’t be happier with it! Everything is identified to Capt. C. Fletcher Horn, SSM in Tunisia, 1943. Judging by the battle stars, he seemed to have been in every campaign that the 175th was in. Some neat features of this group include the British made overseas bars as well as the green bordered British made(?) 34th ID patch on one of the shirts, and a photo of Capt. Horn on the field receiving his Silver Star. I still have yet to find out what Battery Capt. Horn was in command of, however I’m quite positive he was one of the Battery Commanders in the 175th. If anyone has any additional info on Horn I would greatly appreciate it!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's his OBIT, died when he was 99, just before his Hundredth Birthday (You'll see they put 1946 as his birthday up top), as you'll see he rose to the grade of Major, so with that rank he must have finished the war as the battalion exec or even the battalion c.o. Not sure why there is a Capt rank on coat and not Maj or no further ribbon of the WWII Victory.

https://hankinsandwhittington.com/tribute/details/56494/C-Horn/obituary.html

158550022_1456490975.jpg

Unknown source of photo, meaning not sure where this comes from, a yearbook, a hometown newspaper article??? Just says as we see, ETO Ribbon.

Thanks for the info patches, I thought the absence of a WWII victory ribbon was somewhat unusual as well, however I’ve seen plenty of instances where vets opted not to wear it. The ribbon bar has definitely been there for a long time as the indentations on the back are quite deep. As for the Capt. bars, they were found in the pocket by the previous owner so they might have not even been worn on the jacket. That’s an awesome photo of him as well! Looks like it was taken early war maybe?

Here's his OBIT, died when he was 99, just before his Hundredth Birthday (You'll see they put 1946 as his birthday up top), as you'll see he rose to the grade of Major, so with that rank he must have finished the war as the battalion exec or even the battalion c.o. Not sure why there is a Capt rank on coat and not Maj or no further ribbon of the WWII Victory.

https://hankinsandwhittington.com/tribute/details/56494/C-Horn/obituary.html

"He served as a Captain in the U.S. army during World War II subsequently reaching the rank of Major and was awarded the Silver Star."

The way this statement is worded, it implies that he was promoted to Major after WWII, perhaps in the Reserves or National Guard. Additionally, it isn't accurate to assume that the promotion meant he served in in one of the leadership roles. You would need to see his record to know for sure.

I wouldn't even think twice about the missing WWII Victory ribbon. I've handled loads or original uniforms that didn't have it. Many of the guys either never received it, or it was awarded to them upon discharge and it never made it on to their uniform.

I will pay top dollar for original WWII items pertaining to:

OSS

OSS Maritime Unit

NCDU

UDT

Scouts and Raiders

FSSF

Wow Tunisia and Kasserine Pass he was right in the middle of some serious stuff....mike

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

Early Red Bull officer at Kasserine Pass and SIlver Star; that´s a great set. Love those bordered 34th patches. That is our local MN, Iowa and Dakota NG guys. Have had a few enlisted groups found locally here but never and officer. Congrats and thanks for showing.

Kurt

My hobby is my job and my job is my hobby. High School and University History Instructor

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

This was probably his WWII jacket, I too think he was probably promoted after the war and kept this jacket the way it was since he wore it all WWII. I have a few pieces from vets who stayed in but kept their OG stuff how it was during the war

GEN. David R. Atchinson- MO State Guard              ACW

PVT. John H. Drury- Co. A, 27th Ky IR                      ACW               Died of Typhoid

PVT. Henry E. Thomas- Co. I, 17th Ky IR                  ACW

PVT. Joseph E. Drury- Co. E, 356th IR, 89th ID       WWI                WIA

SGT. Edward P. Drury- 51st QM Training Co.           WWII

PFC. Delmer C. Koonter- Co. I, 142nd IR, 36th ID    WWII              WIA

SC3c Michael C. Drury- LCS (L) (3) 70                     WWII

SGT. Steven D. Koonter- 5th Cav, 1st Cav Div         Vietnam

SGT. John M. Drury- 227th AVN Bn. 1st Cav Div     Vietnam

Contact me with items from the 36th Infantry Division or any IDd uniforms of European Theater Infantry Divisions

"He served as a Captain in the U.S. army during World War II subsequently reaching the rank of Major and was awarded the Silver Star."

The way this statement is worded, it implies that he was promoted to Major after WWII, perhaps in the Reserves or National Guard. Additionally, it isn't accurate to assume that the promotion meant he served in in one of the leadership roles. You would need to see his record to know for sure.

I wouldn't even think twice about the missing WWII Victory ribbon. I've handled loads or original uniforms that didn't have it. Many of the guys either never received it, or it was awarded to them upon discharge and it never made it on to their uniform.

Right there Kadet, that is wholly possible with the ranks, For me I wish these OBITs would be more detailed when it comes to describing military service of the deceased don't you, but they seldom are, sometimes not even mentioning important stuff, like take this one on Fletcher, they didn't mention places or unit, we're lucky they even mentioned his Silver Star, I guess this can be chalked up the family not really knowing, and or thinking it's not that big of thing to mention it if they had all the details. I gather these family members who gave the info to the funeral parlor or newspaper would think for one second that people like us will be looking around for info.

No bull***, thats a Nice Red Bull uniform! Thanks for sharing!

- From a fellow Red Bull, and Red Bull collector.

"Remember Bataan, Never Forget"

Actively looking for U.S. Army Run/Swim/Walk For Your Life patches.

Treasurer, ASMIC

Area V VP, ASMIC

www.asmic.org

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif
donation2014.gif