11th Corps and 20th Corps Badges of Maj. William H. Lambert

Major William H. Lambert was a member of the 33rd New Jersey Volunteer Infantry. Entered service as an enlisted person and rose to the rank of brevet Major by the end of the war. Major Lambert had a several interesting distinctions. He had 2 horses shot from underneath him..... One in the fighting around Chatanooga and the second at the battle of Peach Tree Creek just outside of Atlanta. In addition he was part of a reconnaissance force sent into Atlanta just after the surrender of the city, Being some of the first Union soldiers in that city..... Major Lambert was also awarded a Medal of Honor post war. However it would be rescinded in 1914. Fortunately he had passed away in 1912 and did not have to experience it.

Crescent shaped 11th Corps badge. Jeweler made in Philadelphia.

post-758-0-40580700-1586292704_thumb.jpg

20th Corps Badge. with battles engraved... Savannah in first photo. Second photo starts with Antietam and then Fredericksburg... Followed by Chatanooga and then battle's leading south to Atlanta.

post-758-0-39740700-1586292946.jpg

post-758-0-45258600-1586293035_thumb.jpg

Now Those Are Real Pieces Of American Civil War History.Thank You For Posting Them For Us All To See.Scotty

Here is a photo of Major William Lambert in 1865. At this time he was Acting Asst. Inspector General on the staff of Maj. General O.B. Wilcox for the District of Washington. You can see the 20th Corps Badge being worn.

post-758-0-42415500-1586354580_thumb.jpg

An interesting item belonging to Maj.Lambert. This is a leather shield from the horse blanket worn on the horse shot from underneath the Major. It has the numerals for the 33rd New Jersey....The sender lists the Battle of Cequachie Creek, (sp.I think it is spelled with and S on the beginning). This was near Chattanooga......The shield and attached letter were sent by a member of the 33rd New Jersey to Major Lambert's father with a description and a few notes.

post-758-0-68499600-1586439566_thumb.jpg

post-758-0-80784900-1586439601_thumb.jpg

skypilot6670

That is an amazing grouping. Am I reading it correctly ? The shield has the bullet hole from the round that killed his horse. Bullet struck pieces with provenance are few and far between. Again well done Irish .Thank you very much for posting. Mike

Mike, that is the way I am reading it. These items were and are still mounted in an album done sometime post war by the Lambert family.

Outstanding group. I too love seeing period pictures of the soilder wearing the badge.

Thanks for sharing.

Ken

William Lambert had served in the 27th N.J. Volunteers as 1st Lt. (9 month troops) prior to his service with the 33rd New Jersey.

Here are two of Major Lambert's cap badges.

First is the 27th New Jersey on blue diamond. A number of 27th veterans moved to the 33rd after their 9 month service. William Lambert and their commander Colonel George Washington Mindil being two.

"The 33rd New Jersey was established as a Zouave unit which was supposed to assist in recruiting because of the colorful uniforms". The uniforms had red detail and facings for the enlisted men. I am assuming that the red backing color on Major Lambert's 33rd cap badge was chosen too match.

post-758-0-13840400-1586530444.jpg

post-758-0-03033200-1586530469.jpg

skypilot6670

More great badges that we know their history. It’s nice to know there are still gems out there like this. A lot of groups have been broken up to sell them. Thanks again for posting these Irish. Mike

Thanks Mike. All of these pieces were put in a professionally bound album sometime after the war. They have survived because of this. The album is leather bound with many pages and wood cutouts were badges and other items were mounted. On a side note William Lambert was one of the largest collectors of Lincolniana (I think that is a word). His collection was auctioned off after his death in 1912.