• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
manayunkman

Civil War prisoners escape map Ohio Vol. ?

This is a map with a small stapled caption at the bottom.

What are your thoughts ?

post-51189-0-00068800-1586282621.jpeg

donation2013.gif

Looks authentic and worthy of some in-depth research. Very cool. Thanks for posting. Mike

donation2014.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Who is GWB?

Looks like the colonel gave him the map.

The colonel eventually became governor of South Carolina.

donation2013.gif

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Specific areas of collecting and buying interest:

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

or odd items with interesting stories.

Apparently GWB was a POW with Scott.

donation2013.gif

HOLY COW!!! Amazing!

Mikie

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ShilohNMP/posts/shiloh-veteran-goes-free-after-murderlieutenant-colonel-robert-kingston-scott-of/685265741563415/

Shiloh Veteran Goes Free After Murder

Lieutenant Colonel Robert Kingston Scott of the 68th Ohio Infantry came with Gen. Lew Wallace’s Division to Shiloh, serving as a volunteer aide to Col. John Thayer, even though his regiment was left behind to guard Crump’s Landing. He was praised for gallant and efficient service.

Scott, born to a war of 1812 Veteran in Pennsylvania, had moved to Ohio as a teenager where he studied medicine. After visiting California and Latin America, he started a medical practice in Henry County, Ohio. He joined the 1st Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry during the Mexican War. When the Civil War broke out he joined the 68th Ohio as Major in October and was promoted to Lt. Colonel the next month. The regiment was engaged at Fort Donelson and Hatchie Bridge, where Scott who had been promoted to Colonel in July 1862, commanded a provisional brigade. They would participate in the Vicksburg Campaign, where the Lt. Col. John Snook would be killed at Champion’s Hill. Scott would again lead a brigade at the Battle of Atlanta where he would be captured by Confederates when his horse was shot and he was injured. There are two reports of how Scott returned to Sherman’s’ Army, one that he escaped by jumping from a train and another that he was exchanged. At the end of the war he was given the Brevet (honorary) ranks of Brigadier and Major General.

After the war Gen. Scott became Assistant Commissioner of the Freedmen’s Bureau in South Carolina and was praised as an energetic and competent officer who tried to correct the mistakes of his predecessor. In 1868 Scott resigned from the army and entered politics. He was elected Governor of South Carolina by the Republican Party in 1868 and would serve two terms until 1872. One of the most notable acts of his state legislature was voting itself a full-time saloon and restaurant at taxpayer expense. The state debt tripled during Governor Scott's years in office, resulting in an unsuccessful attempt by the General Assembly to impeach him in 1871. Franklin J. Moses, Jr., the first governor after him, claimed Scott “fraudulently signed state bonds in the St James Hotel in New York under the joint influence of alcohol and burlesque queen Pauline Markham,” known as one of “The British Blondes.” Scott had married in 1854 and had a wife and two children back in Ohio.

When the Democrats regained political control in 1877 Scott returned to Napoleon, Ohio. He returned to his family, including his son, R.K. Scott, Jr., who was known as "Arkie" because of his initials. On Christmas Day, 1880, 15 year-old Arkie went missing. He was “inclined to frequent taverns.” Scott suspected he was hiding in the apartment of his friend Warren G. Drury, aged 23. When Drury refused to let him in he was somehow mysteriously shot by a bullet from Scott’s pistol and died the next day.

Scott’s trial attracted national attention. The general claimed his weapon accidentally discharged. On November 5, 1881, General Scott was acquitted of murder. The case led to public outrage. A lynch mob from Toledo wanted to see justice done but Scott formed a body guard of his employees and volunteers. When the lynch mob was given an anonymous gift of two whiskey barrels they lost interest in pursuing justice. Some people complained that the General had got off “Scott Free”. (Apparently this term predates Scott but it seemed to fit).

Scott died on August 12, 1900 in Napoleon and is interred there in Glenwood Cemetery.

t1.jpg

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

Source: http://secondwi.com/davidjames/david.htm

Major General James B. McPherson had earlier met with his corps commanders and staff during the morning of July 22 and by early afternoon was eating lunch in a grove of trees north of the Hill. Upon hearing the first sound of rifle fire from he southeast, he mounted his horse and galloped southward to have a better look. He met Colonel Strong, his Chief of staff, and instructed him to investigate the situation then turning his horse, rode down the road leading toward Gile A. Smith's Fourth Division. He was followed by his orderly, Colonel Robert K. Scott and his signal officer, Lieutenant William H. Sherfy. They had gone but 150 yards when they passed across the front of the 5th Confederate Infantry regiment of Cleburne's Division, which was advancing under the command of Captain Richard Beard. Beard called out to McPherson to surrender, but either not hearing or attempting to escape, the general wheeled his horse to the right and was immediately shot through the back and lungs. Colonel Scott's horse was shot out from under him by the same volley and was taken prisoner. Lieutenant Sherfy's horse slammed him into a tree, breaking his watch and the precise time of McPherson's death was instantly recorded for all history. The hands froze at 2:02 p.m. on July 22, 1864. Beard pointed to McPherson's body and asked the captured Colonel Scott, "Who is this man lying here?" Scott answered with tears in his eyes, "Sir, it is General McPherson. You have just killed the best man in our army".

Source: https://thetrove.net/Books/Deadlands/Misc/Osprey%20-%20ACW/Osprey%20-%20CAM%20179%20-%20Shermans%20March%20to%20the%20Sea%201864.pdf

ORDERS OF BATTLE

THE MARCH TO THE SEA, NOVEMBER 15-

DECEMBER 21, 1864

UNION FORCES

Overall command: Major General William

Tecumseh Sherman

XVII Corps

Major General Frank P. Blair, Jr.

(11,358 men)

3rd Division

Brigadier General Mortimer D. Leggett

2nd Brigade - Colonel Robert K. Scott

20th Ohio

68th Ohio

78th Ohio

17th Wisconsin

Source: https://www.rbhayes.org/research/diary-of-alvah-s.-skilton/

CAPTAIN ALVAH STONE SKILTON

1836 - 1887

57th O.V.I. (Ohio Volunteer Infantry)

July 22, 1864 to April 16, 1865

The following portion of Captain Skilton’s diary was digitized by

Thomas W. Waldsmith

Friday, August 5, 1864.

C.S. Military Prison Oglethorpe Macon Ga

Very dull, nothing to break the monotony of prison life Col Scott 68th Ohio Vol. Inft. came in today he escaped July 27th. 64. A wind Storm passed over camp to night.

Az thanks so much for your attention and help.

I find it improbable that Scott would have a map while captive.

donation2013.gif

Does anyone know of a Union officer with initials GWB who had been a prisoner and escaped?

Or where I could look to find one?

donation2013.gif

Check

Of invaluable service in rebel lines. Presented by me co-prisoner Col. Scott 68th O volunteers to aid in my escape.

Im have a little issue deciphering this message. Were they prisoners together in the same POW camp? Were they just co-prisoners in a POW association and this was presented as just a gift? Scott was a POW in Georgia which was an officers camp that was partially associated with Andersonville. Anyhow, I came across this.

post-13708-0-64145900-1586358621.jpeg

GWB (George W. Bowers) escapes from an officer compound in South Carolina. Again Im not sure what this means for the George map. Like you Im also confused about having a map during your escape. I did find that George W. Bowers was president of the Union-POW Association at one point. Maybe it was given as a gift to Scott?

Just some thoughts.

Wanted: Missouri Medals

I am always in search of Missouri Medals and Items. This could be anything from WW1, WW2, Prisoners of War, Ephemera, or anything pertaining to Missourians.

I thank you for your time and consideration.

-Without a witness, they just disappear.-

donation2020.gif

The map was given to GWB by Scott to aid in his escape.

They had to be in the same camp for that to happen.

By the way the map was folded it doesn’t look like it could have been hidden very well.

Thank you Tdog

donation2013.gif

Of invaluable service in rebel lines. Presented by my co-prisoner Col. Scott 68th (I) for Infantry, (O) for Ohio volunteers to aid in my escape. GWB

How I'm reading the above is that the map was given to GWB, a co-prisoner, by Col. Scott to aid GWB in his escape. I don't think GWB would've been a member of Scott's unit or I think GWB would've wrote something like "presented by my Colonel". I do believe that GWB would've been a fellow officer being held in C.S. Military Prison Oglethorpe in Macon Ga. as that particular prison was noted for holding officers, and that both Col. Scott and GWB would've been there at the same time. With just the initials GWB, it's going to be hard to find the right person without a list of prisoners from that prison. Personally, and it's just my opinion, I don't find it find it improbable that Scott could've had a map while captive. It could've been hid in the lining of his coat prior to battle knowing he would be fighting in Georgia, or he could've obtained it from someone else at the prison while there.

Regarding the map, is there a date anywhere on the map or is there a way to find out the date it was made/printed?

Regarding the map, is there a date anywhere on the map or is there a way to find out the date it was made/printed?

I believe I've found the year of the map. It was created in 1864 but it doesn't show what month or day.

Source: https://curiosity.lib.harvard.edu/scanned-maps/catalog/44-990136485090203941

u1.jpg

I was researching Union Officer POWs and my research brought me to 1st Lt. George W Bailey, aide de camp to Gen M.L. Commander of 2nd Division.

George W Bailey was taken prisoner in Georgia in 1864. He wrote a book about his capture and escape called "A Private Chapter of the War". I found a webpage with the following entry for July 26, 1864:

July 26. [bailey decides to] “escape by way of burial…Trusty comrade officers assist. Tin cup, muscles, will, calculating ingenuity, friendly suggestions, briars cut to be stacked in the earth concealing the writer and present uninviting appearance to pedestrians, …Boughs and grass were gathered; the adventurer fitted in; satisfaction. ‘All right, cover up.” First came grass and boughs, then—‘Oh, here Lieutenant, here are some things you’ll need.’ Col. Scott presented some maps (linen) of the country, rolled up in which was a small pocket-compass…A canteen was also presented, and served as a substitute for a pillow.”

Bailey was carefully concealed under earth, grass, and artfully arranged briars, with a packet of rations buried near his head. The column moved out the next morning, and a short time thereafter a hog helped itself to the buried rations. Bailey waited and listened until at least mid-day, when it began to rain and his “grave” became untenable as a hiding place. So he pushed himself up and out, and almost immediately discovered another Union soldier, a six foot tall seventeen-year-old named Lybyer. According to Bailey, when asked how the young man had escaped, his answer was “I was asleep in a brush-pile. I didn’t wake up until after they’d gone; then I thought I’d go the other way.”

So congratulations to manayunkman on finding a historically important escape map, well documented in the escapee's memoir!

Jeffrey

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

Wow, now that is a great piece of Civil War history!

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Seeking Model 1895 and 1902 Named Officer coats as well as Spanish American War Tropical Uniforms.
Also pre WW2 marine uniforms. Always pre-1945 Colorado National Guard Items wanted! Also seeking Rhodesian

Uniforms and Gear used by Americans in the Rhodesian Security Forces during the Bush War (Africa).

Fortune cookie say: "An expert is someone that knows so much about so little."

Im not convinced.

Who knows when this map was given and by who.

It is a period map but any attribution is sketchy.

donation2013.gif

An excerpt from Bailey's foreword in his book:

"The writer is aware that many of the incidents related may not seem plausible, and will tend to create incredulity, especially among those who do not wish to believe. In recognition of this tendency, the names and residences of other living witnesses are given.

The writer is in possession of additional evidences not available for the press, — bullet-scarred body, bullet-torn coat, stiffened with his blood, maps, compass, cartridges, and numerous other relics of his experience, — which are subject to the inspection of the incredulous or curious."

The maps were kept as a prized souvenir and proof of his claims at least as late as 1880 in St Louis.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

I'll have to say Jeffrey's findings have me pretty well convinced. Great job Jeffrey finding that information!