Sign in to follow this  
Wade16

3rd NY Vol. Cavalry Regiment Civil War 1861ID Disc

• I found this disc and would like any information and opinions please. So far, I found this information on the man:

HTTHREE, WILLIAM.—Age 23 years. Enlisted August 3, 1861, at Rochester; mustered in as private, Company C, August 3, 1861, to serve three years; discharged for disability, December 7, 1862, at Alexandria, Va

Are these medals typical for Civil War vets? Does it have any value?

post-204413-0-24430500-1586220583_thumb.jpg

post-204413-0-84724500-1586220592_thumb.jpg

Its a wartime I.D. Disc. The soldier would have purchased it from a sutler (salesman who traveled with the army) to use like dog tags . Identification so his body could be properly buried or sent home. That Washington Style is I think one of the most attractive disc. Value is a tough one , if I were selling it I would list it on a well known auction site with a $1000.00 starting bid. It should get some action and could bring considerably more. Nice piece thanks for posting. Mike

donation2014.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thank you for the information. I am glad it is genuine. I am surprised with the value estimate. I found it at a local swap meet a few years ago, and probably paid less than $5 for it.

That’s the coolest $5 ID disc I’ve ever seen! Very nice! You probably already know this but you can get military service records, military pension records from the national archives https://www.archives.gov/veterans. There is a fee but I think it would be worth it.

Frank

​​​​​donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2020.gif

Wow-- great ID disc at a bargain price!

Here are his records from Historical Data Systems (HDS).

William Hithree

Residence was not listed; 23 years old.Enlisted on 8/3/1861 at Rochester, NY as a Private.On 8/3/1861 he mustered into "C" Co. NY 3rd Cavalry He was discharged for disability on 12/7/1862 at Alexandria, VASources used by Historical Data Systems, Inc.:

History of the owner (Fighting RGT/ WIA/ KIA/ POW) can significantly "bump" values on these.

Based on the short service time/ minimal engagements at that time, I don't see a service record bump.

Scott

Thank you both for your information and nice comments.