I.D. Ring Joseph Riegel

skypilot6670

This is the 3rd identification ring Ive been able to add to my collection. It is the only one of the three that was made by a sutler. The other two are jeweler made . There are two more of these sutler rings known to me .All three are a silver band in the shape of a channel hand stamped with the soldiers name and unit stamped on it. (Stamping dies are the same as those used on I.D.Disc) This ring was dug at North Anna Va. in the 1970s.

The ring reads J. Riegel Co. E. 45. P. V. V. At 41 years old he enlisted on 9/12/61 as a Sergeant . His Unit served with the 9th army corps till mustering out on 6/19/65. The 45th had casualties on 83 different days with there greatest loss coming at South Mountain 28 Killed ,Wilderness 18 Killed ,Poplar Springs Church 13 Killed and Cold Harbor 20 Killed .

Riegel returned to Blair Co. Pa. and died in1893.

post-137056-0-43445600-1586213435_thumb.jpegpost-137056-0-06430100-1586213451_thumb.jpegpost-137056-0-58203900-1586213500_thumb.jpegpost-137056-0-43619500-1586213579_thumb.jpeg

skypilot6670

You’re welcome Irish. It’s probably the most rare type of soldier I.D. Certainly the most rare that I know of. Thanks Mike

USCapturephotos

Nice find Mike. There was a good thread on these recently on one of the Civil War Facebook groups. Id rings are definitely hard to come by. The Old Courthouse Museum in Winchester, Va. has a few dug examples along with a few really nice ID discs. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

M24 Chaffee

Another special piece of Civil War history in your fine collection! Very cool!

Frank

skypilot6670

Paul and Frank thanks for the comments. Paul the courthouse museum has one that was dug by a friend of mine. By the similarity in mine and his (and probably the others) I think they were made by the same sutler. I’ve searched Dr.Lords book on sutlers but could not figure out which one was associated with the appropriate units .So the maker remains a mystery . Again thanks to you both for your comments it makes the forum fun. Mike

• 6 months later...