Not A Whole Lot To Study Here

SKIPH

Hey gang! Hope everyone is well. Just found this M3 on ebay, item# 254562429150. It's one of those blade-dated, no maker imports. We've seen these for years, but maybe there's a new collector unfamiliar with them. The blade is stamped "US M3 1943", most of us realize it's a repro. The big thing is the seller, whom I do not know, has a Buy Now price of $174.00, with a no return policy. In all fairness, the seller may not know it's about a $30 knife, and he sells what looks like video game stuff. In his description though, he states his "expert" said it was probably made by "Camillus". Anyway, if someone could post the ad it would be appreciated. New collectors, learn your hobby. Prices keep going up, don't get taken. SKIP

mhalstead1950

post-164755-0-83510000-1586210353_thumb.png

Description:

Buy now and have it heading your way today.

Fresh estate find.

I found this in a tool box.

There are no markings on it other than "US M3 1942".

A friend of mine who knows militaria better than I said it might be an old Camillus reissue. I'm not sure. (I would think it would say Camillus somewhere)

Blade is unsharpened.

Blade had some light surface rust on one side towards the tip. It wiped off with some Hoppes. It did however leave a rough patch behind.

I didn't try and remove it since I was concerned about the finish. Perhaps you have a way to make it look better.

Other side of blade is perfect.

Knife definitely has some age to it. Sold as you see it.

International bids are not accepted for this item..... USA only. Write me with any questions.

What are the common correct markings? I would have thought it was real to be honest.

Jacob

Some years ago I remember reading about these from the person who made them. I believe they are 15-20 years old. The original blade dated M3s will have the manufacturer's name between the M3 and 1943, such as US M3 PAL 1943. There are other differences but that is the one that stands out.

No Quarter- As Bill, "thorin6" pointed out manufacturers placed their names, or initials on blade dated M3s. I'd like to thank you! Your question just validated why I posted this thread. Sometimes we collectors tend to think everyone has the same collectors' knowledge, not so much. So I feel obligated, like most on this site, to try and help the newer guys along. Hate to see folks get ripped off. SKIP

Just saw on ebay that the seller lowered the price to $139. Still too high in my opinion. Now I've found a Camillus M3 guard marked repro (single pommel pin) item # 143574105432 for a Buy Now price of $499.95. The seller peddles old collectibles, and may not know the facts on Camillus M3s & their repros. But, new collectors need to see the differences, do your research! Can't emphasize enough. SKIP

Just saw on ebay that the seller lowered the price to $139. Still too high in my opinion. Now I've found a Camillus M3 guard marked repro (single pommel pin) item # 143574105432 for a Buy Now price of $499.95. The seller peddles old collectibles, and may not know the facts on Camillus M3s & their repros. But, new collectors need to see the differences, do your research! Can't emphasize enough. SKIP

The original one spoke of here reminds me of the ones that were marked SEMS.

The Camillus M3 is one of the ones that were remade in the 80's?

The sellers are ignorant to the fact that they are listing these as WWII original items (they will ignore messages to them) and hoping to pray on the unknowing. They know what they are selling.

Google is your friend.

Just an FYI, Camillus only produced the reproduction M3's for a time during the 90's. The last price sheet I've seen with that stock number listed was the 1997 one. With the knife first showing up circa 92-93. There may have been some special runs done for one or more of their larger distributors that don't show up in the Camillus price sheets, but that's about the run for the repro M3's from them.

Agree with sactroop. I first saw them at the local gun show around 92-93. They were going for around $39-ish, for both blade, and guard marked. Picked up the blade marked first, then later a guard marked, and finally a year or two later got the M4. SKIP