Is this coke sign a wartime item?

kfields

Just curious if this dates from WW2. I grew up in the "coke bottle" age (50's & 60's) but don't recall a sign like this. It's cardboard and the size is about 8 1/2x14 inches.

post-60-0-17817800-1586190969_thumb.jpg

Neat bit of history!

I remember when I was young and I realized you could return bottles for money...we had a gold mine down in the basement...I was on my 3rd coaster wagon full of them going to the local liquor store when my parents drove past... That did not go well... but at least I still had the money from the first two trips!

When I was a kid, that's how I got money to buy comic books. I would collect bottles wherever I could find them. I would put them in my Army haversack and walk three miles to the nearest grocery store and then take my money to the drugstore and buy comic books. G.I. Combat, Sgt. Rock, Enemy Ace, Sgt. Fury, Iron Man, Captain America, The Avengers, etc. were some of the favorites.

I still have all the comic books, too.

I would get 3 cents for the 12oz. & smaller bottles and five cents for the quart bottles. Comic books were 12 cents a piece, so for every quarter in deposit bottles, I could buy two comic books, 24 cents for the comics and one cent for the sales tax.

manayunkman

When I was under 12 I also would fish bottles out of the trash in Central Park.

It funded my model airplane habit.