OSS Wing Patch

Here is a closeup of the wing you selected as being good. After comparison with the other two examples, I feel somewhat relieved. I can now see the details that compare favorably. I have had this wing for a little over ten years and really never appreciated that it might be an authentic example. Thanks Dennis

post-48217-0-00107600-1586977009_thumb.jpg

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

WANTED- hallmarked US Army Jump wings:            WANTED -Combat Infantryman Badges:

Bell Trading Post Master (with star in wreath).      F.W. Assmann Germany full size marked 191

12C Coro Senior clutchback (with star).                            CREST CRAFT Sterling EIB & CIB

CrestCraft 14C Master w/bubble canopy CB.                    Denmark’s Sterling 2nd Award D22

Emblem Supply 1E Senior pinback                                      Wilbur Kiff Co Attleboro Ma. Sterling

GP General Products Master CB                                          D&H Manufacturing, provenance RI

Military Post Supply M21/MPS-21 Senior CB                 C.P. Company NYC 1P C. Polk New York

Robbins Senior pinback                                                       Gemsco Sterling 3rd award

Robbins Attleboro Mass. Basic pinback                              Simon Sterling 3rd Award

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the back side of the above OSS SF. wing. I am posting it here for reference as I believe that other collectors may find it useful for comparison. Great discussion. Thanks to all who contributed.

post-48217-0-45492500-1586977314_thumb.jpg

spacer.png

WANTED- hallmarked US Army Jump wings:            WANTED -Combat Infantryman Badges:

Bell Trading Post Master (with star in wreath).      F.W. Assmann Germany full size marked 191

12C Coro Senior clutchback (with star).                            CREST CRAFT Sterling EIB & CIB

CrestCraft 14C Master w/bubble canopy CB.                    Denmark’s Sterling 2nd Award D22

Emblem Supply 1E Senior pinback                                      Wilbur Kiff Co Attleboro Ma. Sterling

GP General Products Master CB                                          D&H Manufacturing, provenance RI

Military Post Supply M21/MPS-21 Senior CB                 C.P. Company NYC 1P C. Polk New York

Robbins Senior pinback                                                       Gemsco Sterling 3rd award

Robbins Attleboro Mass. Basic pinback                              Simon Sterling 3rd Award

So as Tonomachi pointed out, part of the hesitancy to label this wing as real may have been the fact that it was a bit out of shape, somewhat warped looking?

Also, is that S smaller than the F or could that be part of the stretched out issue? The originals look like the letters are the same size.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Member:

ASMIC

OVMS

Primary interests:

The United States Army in WWII

The United States Army in Vietnam

My YouTube patch channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxXvNiUvwbB-e4i0gl-RrFA

WANTED:

WWII:

551st PIB pocket and shoulder patches

504th PIR real deal pocket patch 

Thanks for posting these additional pictures.

I have to ask about the provenance of the Halbert group though. His name does not appear on my rosters of personnel that worked in the ETO or MTO prior to service in China, nor does he appear on the rosters of the Operational Groups (OGs) that formed the Chinese Commando units. Most of the men that trained the commandos in China had been members of the "French OG" or Company B 2671st Special Recon Bn., along with some volunteers from the Greek OG, which had been disbanded.

Halbert is listed as a member of Special Operations (SO) Branch (vice Operational Group...OG) and was the commander of the Antelope 2 Mission, which was an SO mission in Southern China to coordinate guerilla activities. If this is the case, the group you show contains insignia that would have no logical connection to Halbert. I've also seen another Chinese Commando wing attributed to him which was affixed to a folded card. It was sold a few years ago by a well known dealer. I'm also curious what people think of the second SF wing in that group.

Again, maybe I am just missing something regarding Halbert and the group really does make sense. I would appreciate input. I make it a point to gather as much information as I can about these men and the units they served in because the OSS holds a special interest for me

I will pay top dollar for original WWII items pertaining to:

OSS

OSS Maritime Unit

NCDU

UDT

Scouts and Raiders

FSSF

After looking through my files and notes, I found the card that referenced the wings in post # 51. They belonged to and were worn by Fred J. Johanson who served with NORSO (Norwegian Special Operations Group of the OSS) 1943-1945. He jumped into France near Limoges during Operation Percy Red in June 1944 and also jumped into Norway on Operation Rype in March 1945. I had not previously been aware of this provenance until today.

spacer.png

That is great info! Can I ask where the wing came from? It would be nice to really nail down the provenance of this style SF wing

OSS

OSS Maritime Unit

NCDU

UDT

Scouts and Raiders

FSSF

The wing in #51 came directly from Fred Johanson to the collector I got it from. He got it in 1993 and it was passed to me in 2010. I had not realized this until today when I dug out the notes.

spacer.png

I have to ask about the provenance of the Halbert group though. His name does not appear on my rosters of personnel that worked in the ETO or MTO prior to service in China, nor does he appear on the rosters of the Operational Groups (OGs) that formed the Chinese Commando units. Most of the men that trained the commandos in China had been members of the "French OG" or Company B 2671st Special Recon Bn., along with some volunteers from the Greek OG, which had been disbanded.

Halbert is listed as a member of Special Operations (SO) Branch (vice Operational Group...OG) and was the commander of the Antelope 2 Mission, which was an SO mission in Southern China to coordinate guerilla activities. If this is the case, the group you show contains insignia that would have no logical connection to Halbert. I've also seen another Chinese Commando wing attributed to him which was affixed to a folded card. It was sold a few years ago by a well known dealer. I'm also curious what people think of the second SF wing in that group.

Again, maybe I am just missing something regarding Halbert and the group really does make sense. I would appreciate input. I make it a point to gather as much information as I can about these men and the units they served in because the OSS holds a special interest for me

Sorry but I don't remember where I copied these photographs from exactly but I seem to recall it may have been on another military forum possibly the UK one called the British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum.

donation2008.gif

Thanks to both of you....great info

OSS

OSS Maritime Unit

NCDU

UDT

Scouts and Raiders

FSSF

As an additional note, the Bullion SF wing at the bottom in post #47 is attributed to Captain Robert A. Lucas who served in the OSS on Jedburgh Team 'Philip' in Eastern France from 31 August to 24 September 1944. Later Lucas served in China with another SO Team. According to my notes, he had the wing in #47 made in India while he was in transit to his assignment in China. As of July 1989 Lucas was living in the Kansas City area. This wings came from Les Hughes in 1989 and to me in 2010. No further Info. This is the first time I realized this. I need to look into my notes a bit more. Enjoy...

spacer.png

I just reread your post and missed your inquiry about the other SF wing and I've attached a close up photograph of it below. I thought it was genuine since it was part of this grouping until I came across one and was able to purchase it at a very reasonable price at around 100 dollars. I thought I had gotten a bargain until I received it and hit it with a black light. The white threading lit up like a Christmas Tree. I actually tried to get my money back however I hadn't read the description close enough as nowhere did the seller say this was a "WW2" era piece. Everything else in this grouping with the exception of the Kachin Rangers SSI looks genuine. The only other piece that is questionable is the 1st pattern British Parachute Jump Instructor half wing which is genuine but some collectors say it was never produced during the war and others say it was.

post-1389-0-06630500-1587011982_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-17414800-1587011993_thumb.jpg

donation2008.gif

Thanks, I had a feeling the second wing wasn't original. Although some of the components may be genuine, I also think the Halbert group is put together.

OSS

OSS Maritime Unit

NCDU

UDT

Scouts and Raiders

FSSF

Robert,

In regards to your three SF wings that you posted. I am not a fan of either the top or the bottom examples. The middle one is very much like the one in the center of discussion.

I do not like the top wing because of the ribbed silk center on the wing and the very sloppy threads on the back side of the wing. This screams "Old Club Badges" to me.

I don't like the color of the bullion on the bottom wing, nor do I like the black paper backing. I think this one is Pakistani made.

My two cents.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

Thanks Allan,

Your insight is always appreciated. As noted in post #60, the wire bullion wing was made in India according to my records and belonged to Captain Robert A. Lucas. It came directly from Les Hughes in 1989 to the collector whom I got it from in 2010. I am inclined to believe that it is authentic to the time frame, but not as an actual issue badge. Yes, the back has that paper, but having found the notes, I am on the side of believing them at this point. The top wing came from Roy Turner (of England's Bragg & Turner duo) in 1981. No provenance attached to it. So the jury is still out on that one. I would like some additional opinions before I decide.

spacer.png

Robert A. Lucas commanded Team Armadillo which conducted SO missions in Northern China

OSS

OSS Maritime Unit

NCDU

UDT

Scouts and Raiders

FSSF

Robert A. Lucas commanded Team Armadillo which conducted SO missions in Northern China

That is additional information I did not have. I will note it on my card. Thank you!

spacer.png

Information found online that might be useful. This is from a posting made in 2011 -condensed and edited.

Years ago the Jedburgh Reunion Committee, now no longer in existence, prepared a simple hand-out to give a general idea of what the Jedburghs were and what their function was. The following is the text:

"In World War II the Jedburghs were a Special Force Unit of approximately 300 volunteers recruited from the armed forces of Britain, America and France with a small contingent from the Netherlands, Belgium and Canada. Their task was to parachute into enemy occupied territory in small mixed-nationality teams, to arm and train resistance fighters and to coordinate their activities with the overall strategy of the allied D-Day armies advancing out of the Normandy bridgehead ("Overlord") and the landings in the South of France ("Dragoon").

Milton Hall, near Peterborough, was their home base. There, in 1944, they underwent months of exhaustive training, covering all aspects of modern guerrilla warfare, ambushes, demolition, unarmed combat, silent killing, small arms, parachuting and the techniques of reception committee work for receiving additional supplies by air while operating behind enemy lines.

The Operational Teams themselves, which were formed through a mixture of "official" nominations and individual choice, usually comprised either two British or two American Jedburghs plus one other from the intended country of operation. There were variations on the theme, of course, but whatever the final composition, one member of every team was always a radio operator, proficient at high speed Morse code and cyphers, the peculiarities of shortwave radios, such as the "B2" and the "Jed-Set" and the intricacies of running repairs under primitive conditions.

Between D-Day and V-E Day, Jedburgh Teams carried out 101 Operations in Europe; 93 with the Maqui’s in France in support of the allied landings and eight in the Netherlands, of which six were in connection with Operation "Market Garden" (Arnhem). Later the Jeds, as they liked to call themselves, did many similar operations with other allied Special Forces, such as the America OSS and the British Force 136 (SOE) in Norway, Italy, Burma, Malaya, Borneo, Indonesia, China and Indo-China.

Jedburgh dead, as recorded on the Memorial Tablet in the Sprite Chapel of Peterborough Cathedral numbered 37. Most were killed in action but some died of wounds and others of illness contracted on operations in the jungles of South-East Asia. Seven were executed after capture. One French officer was beheaded and another bayoneted to death".

The Special Force Wing, was conceived at ME 65 Milton Hall, near Peterborough, England. There was an open competition to design a unifying emblem for the newly formed Jedburgh Teams. It was won by Captain Victor Gough of the Somerset Light Infantry. Gough became the leader of Team JACOB, however after his capture in France, he was murdered by the Germans. The Wing was worn "in the field" and the initials SF are for Special Force, singular as mentioned. When asked by those who had no idea what this new emblem stood for the Jedburghs often stated, in jest of course, "Sans Femmes" or "Sexually Frustrated"! The Wing though originally solely for the Jedburghs soon travelled to other outfits, especially the OSS Operational Groups. Others also used the insignia, the Poles of the Bard sea Group, those who served at Special Force Headquarters and members of Force 136 in Burma and the 801st-492nd Bombardment Group, code named the Carpetbaggers, the "Air Arm" of the OSS. The SF Wing has been widely copied-faked. There are probably three or four bona-fide original variations.

I don't know how accurate the info above is, but it may shed further light on this WWII Outfit.

spacer.png

Since we are still on the subject of SF Wings below is a very good copy of the most abundant variant that has fooled collectors. I did a double take when I first encountered these copies.

post-1389-0-79750800-1587069584_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-49542100-1587069611_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-19751000-1587069624_thumb.jpg

donation2008.gif

The fakers then started adding a backing material of cloth or paper so you couldn't see the embroidery on the back like the one pictured in Post # 68. Below is what the real one looks like and as you can see the back is much different from the back of the fake SF Wing. Hopefully this will save someone a lot of money as the prices for these SF Wings are ridiculous.

post-1389-0-65025900-1587070169_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-43076400-1587070181_thumb.jpg

donation2008.gif

There is another copy of this same variant but it is not made as well and not as convincing but I thought I would add it here on this thread. So you have a mint piece and one where someone has trimmed away most of the black border material.

post-1389-0-91581900-1587070423_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-96238600-1587070432_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-21154400-1587070450_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-65524700-1587070461_thumb.jpg

donation2008.gif
  • 1 month later...
On 4/15/2020 at 9:55 AM, triplecanopy said:

Thanks Dennis,

I am now seeing some clarity in this discussion. Here are several examples that I have that are similar to the one in question. I can see by your examples why you feel the wing that originally began this thread is genuine and you offer good rationale. I would appreciate your evaluation of these three wings since one looks pretty close in workmanship. I will post the reverse side in the next slide. Thanks for your input.

post-48217-0-51110400-1586969426.jpeg

A similar bullion SF Wing is currently up for bid on eBay.  There is no period after the "F" and the letters SF is cloth thread instead of bullion like your piece but they appear to have been made by the same company.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/pk409-Original-WW2-US-Army-Special-Forces-Sleeve-Wing-Bullion-WA8/353094862652?hash=item523618073c:g:tfoAAOSwmkFe1o4w:sc:USPSPriority!93901!US!-1

s-l1600 (10).jpg

s-l1600 (11).jpg

donation2008.gif

Interesting. It does look close. I see that it is being offered by a seller who deals in a lot of reproductions.

spacer.png