OSS Jedburgh SF Wing

I believe the SF wing in question is genuine based on the research done by Les Hughes which he wrote about in various sources like the ASMIC Trading Post (July Sept 1988), Chute & Dagger Newsletter as well as his own website www.insigne.org. Here is his current photograph grouping from his website of various genuine SF wings that he has come across over the years. As I mentioned before the SF Wing pictured below under, " B. From a veteran of the Operation Group" is the same SF wing variant that recently sold for $2248.00.

post-1389-0-44108800-1586964498_thumb.jpg

His Type A and Type C are the two styles I mentioned above...I know these to be original based on first hand experience and photographic evidence. As I said, that is simply my personal threshold and would also form the basis of any personal recommendation I gave to another collector.

I collect OSS insignia and have been following the research by Les Hughes in my search for genuine SF wings. I kept an early photograph (see below) published by Les Hughes of the three cloth variants that he found amongst veterans of the OSS which he considered the only genuine wings based on his documented research. I have used this photograph over the years in my search for SF wings. I found the top one first which is the most abundant that you come across and I found the middle one which is the next most abundant one that you encounter. This was many years ago when you could buy these wings for 300 to 500 dollars. The bottom one is the variant that sold for $2248.00 which I have never come across for sale until now. Since I have been looking now for years I can say that the bottom one is the hardest one to find. I don't think I will ever find one now at these ridiculously high prices.

post-1389-0-28488900-1586965208_thumb.jpg

I have come across this variant SF wing in a grouping that once belonged to OSS Captain Edward S. Halbert. I don't know who owns this grouping but I kept photographs of this grouping off of a UK Forum.

post-1389-0-21953400-1586965432_thumb.jpg

Here is a close up of this SF wing variant that came out of this grouping belonging to Capt. Edward S. Halbert and matches the one that sold for $2248.00. This is why I felt the SF wing on eBay was genuine.

post-1389-0-53583600-1586965596_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-32443700-1586965605_thumb.jpg

triplecanopy

Thanks Dennis,

I am now seeing some clarity in this discussion. Here are several examples that I have that are similar to the one in question. I can see by your examples why you feel the wing that originally began this thread is genuine and you offer good rationale. I would appreciate your evaluation of these three wings since one looks pretty close in workmanship. I will post the reverse side in the next slide. Thanks for your input.

post-48217-0-51110400-1586969426.jpeg

triplecanopy

Getting these photos to compress is a challenge, but here is the back side of the above three. Your honest opinions are appreciated. Good, bad or questionable? I am here to learn and this is by far the best opportunity. Thanks.

post-48217-0-41867900-1586969815.jpeg

Thanks Dennis,

I am now seeing some clarity in this discussion. Here are several examples that I have that are similar to the one in question. I can see by your examples why you feel the wing that originally began this thread is genuine and you offer good rationale. I would appreciate your evaluation of these three wings since one looks pretty close in workmanship. I will post the reverse side in the next slide. Thanks for your input.

Well your middle wing is the rare one which just sold for $2248.00. I have not come across the other two. The following are just my opinions. The bottom bullion wing looks genuine as I'm guessing it would be very difficult to duplicate the wear pattern on the back like the paper becoming brittle due possibly to age with missing bits along the edging maybe due to repeated laundering as well as the remnants of stitching and the patina of the bullion. Now your top wing I don't like as I have come across a fake bullion SF wing in the past that has the same vertical red colored ribbed center that was supposedly made recently in Pakistan.

triplecanopy

Here is a closeup of the wing you selected as being good. After comparison with the other two examples, I feel somewhat relieved. I can now see the details that compare favorably. I have had this wing for a little over ten years and really never appreciated that it might be an authentic example. Thanks Dennis

post-48217-0-00107600-1586977009_thumb.jpg

triplecanopy

Here is the back side of the above OSS SF. wing. I am posting it here for reference as I believe that other collectors may find it useful for comparison. Great discussion. Thanks to all who contributed.

post-48217-0-45492500-1586977314_thumb.jpg

So as Tonomachi pointed out, part of the hesitancy to label this wing as real may have been the fact that it was a bit out of shape, somewhat warped looking?

Also, is that S smaller than the F or could that be part of the stretched out issue? The originals look like the letters are the same size.

Thanks for posting these additional pictures.

I have to ask about the provenance of the Halbert group though. His name does not appear on my rosters of personnel that worked in the ETO or MTO prior to service in China, nor does he appear on the rosters of the Operational Groups (OGs) that formed the Chinese Commando units. Most of the men that trained the commandos in China had been members of the "French OG" or Company B 2671st Special Recon Bn., along with some volunteers from the Greek OG, which had been disbanded.

Halbert is listed as a member of Special Operations (SO) Branch (vice Operational Group...OG) and was the commander of the Antelope 2 Mission, which was an SO mission in Southern China to coordinate guerilla activities. If this is the case, the group you show contains insignia that would have no logical connection to Halbert. I've also seen another Chinese Commando wing attributed to him which was affixed to a folded card. It was sold a few years ago by a well known dealer. I'm also curious what people think of the second SF wing in that group.

Again, maybe I am just missing something regarding Halbert and the group really does make sense. I would appreciate input. I make it a point to gather as much information as I can about these men and the units they served in because the OSS holds a special interest for me

triplecanopy

After looking through my files and notes, I found the card that referenced the wings in post # 51. They belonged to and were worn by Fred J. Johanson who served with NORSO (Norwegian Special Operations Group of the OSS) 1943-1945. He jumped into France near Limoges during Operation Percy Red in June 1944 and also jumped into Norway on Operation Rype in March 1945. I had not previously been aware of this provenance until today.

That is great info! Can I ask where the wing came from? It would be nice to really nail down the provenance of this style SF wing

triplecanopy

The wing in #51 came directly from Fred Johanson to the collector I got it from. He got it in 1993 and it was passed to me in 2010. I had not realized this until today when I dug out the notes.

I have to ask about the provenance of the Halbert group though. His name does not appear on my rosters of personnel that worked in the ETO or MTO prior to service in China, nor does he appear on the rosters of the Operational Groups (OGs) that formed the Chinese Commando units. Most of the men that trained the commandos in China had been members of the "French OG" or Company B 2671st Special Recon Bn., along with some volunteers from the Greek OG, which had been disbanded.

Halbert is listed as a member of Special Operations (SO) Branch (vice Operational Group...OG) and was the commander of the Antelope 2 Mission, which was an SO mission in Southern China to coordinate guerilla activities. If this is the case, the group you show contains insignia that would have no logical connection to Halbert. I've also seen another Chinese Commando wing attributed to him which was affixed to a folded card. It was sold a few years ago by a well known dealer. I'm also curious what people think of the second SF wing in that group.

Again, maybe I am just missing something regarding Halbert and the group really does make sense. I would appreciate input. I make it a point to gather as much information as I can about these men and the units they served in because the OSS holds a special interest for me

Sorry but I don't remember where I copied these photographs from exactly but I seem to recall it may have been on another military forum possibly the UK one called the British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum.

triplecanopy

As an additional note, the Bullion SF wing at the bottom in post #47 is attributed to Captain Robert A. Lucas who served in the OSS on Jedburgh Team 'Philip' in Eastern France from 31 August to 24 September 1944. Later Lucas served in China with another SO Team. According to my notes, he had the wing in #47 made in India while he was in transit to his assignment in China. As of July 1989 Lucas was living in the Kansas City area. This wings came from Les Hughes in 1989 and to me in 2010. No further Info. This is the first time I realized this. I need to look into my notes a bit more. Enjoy...

I just reread your post and missed your inquiry about the other SF wing and I've attached a close up photograph of it below. I thought it was genuine since it was part of this grouping until I came across one and was able to purchase it at a very reasonable price at around 100 dollars. I thought I had gotten a bargain until I received it and hit it with a black light. The white threading lit up like a Christmas Tree. I actually tried to get my money back however I hadn't read the description close enough as nowhere did the seller say this was a "WW2" era piece. Everything else in this grouping with the exception of the Kachin Rangers SSI looks genuine. The only other piece that is questionable is the 1st pattern British Parachute Jump Instructor half wing which is genuine but some collectors say it was never produced during the war and others say it was.

post-1389-0-06630500-1587011982_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-17414800-1587011993_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I had a feeling the second wing wasn't original. Although some of the components may be genuine, I also think the Halbert group is put together.

Robert,

In regards to your three SF wings that you posted. I am not a fan of either the top or the bottom examples. The middle one is very much like the one in the center of discussion.

I do not like the top wing because of the ribbed silk center on the wing and the very sloppy threads on the back side of the wing. This screams "Old Club Badges" to me.

I don't like the color of the bullion on the bottom wing, nor do I like the black paper backing. I think this one is Pakistani made.

My two cents.

Allan

triplecanopy

Thanks Allan,

Your insight is always appreciated. As noted in post #60, the wire bullion wing was made in India according to my records and belonged to Captain Robert A. Lucas. It came directly from Les Hughes in 1989 to the collector whom I got it from in 2010. I am inclined to believe that it is authentic to the time frame, but not as an actual issue badge. Yes, the back has that paper, but having found the notes, I am on the side of believing them at this point. The top wing came from Roy Turner (of England's Bragg & Turner duo) in 1981. No provenance attached to it. So the jury is still out on that one. I would like some additional opinions before I decide.

triplecanopy

Robert A. Lucas commanded Team Armadillo which conducted SO missions in Northern China

That is additional information I did not have. I will note it on my card. Thank you!