OSS Jedburgh SF Wing

There is an OSS Jedburgh SF wing for sale on Ebay that doesn't look right to me and wanted to alert and get input from other collectors. The link is listed below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-WW2-OSS-original-rare-SF-Wing-special-force-off-uniform-/261125119896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccc451f98

I believe this was made from the following OSS Jedburgh SF wing copy that has shows up on Ebay every now and then:

post-1389-0-18790900-1352423237_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-13615600-1352423254_thumb.jpg

I believe that you are correct, and that this and the one on eBay are the same post-war version. The similarities are obscured by the one on eBay having been trimmed and thread added around the border. But look, for example, at the stitching of the inner circle on the back around the "SF" - how it splits at the top on both. Caveat emptor.

The OSS wing on Ebay sold for $1666.00 which I felt was made from a reproduction OSS wing. I've attached scans of this wing for future reference.

post-1389-0-33575300-1352990469_thumb.jpg

How about this one Robin? Fully provenanced and a part of a larger grouping.Allan

Allan.....I'll have to keep copies of this wing for comparison. Thank you!!

• 7 years later...
manayunkman

I don’t know.

I’ve had quite a few over the years but never had one with a poor as heck embroidered “S”.

manayunkman

The fact that many people who know exactly what it is, and have viewed this thread, are silent says to me that they think it is good.

But that’s just an opinion.

ocsfollowme

There are many great photos of these wings on the forum. Do your research and you will find your answer

I know, but if this specific wing isn't talked about, then I would not find the answer.

There are many great photos of these wings on the forum. Do your research and you will find your answer

triplecanopy

Well, let's talk about it. I for one don't like it. It looks twisted and crude. There have been numerous copies of this badge made over the years and until I am convinced otherwise, my opinion is that it is a copy. While it has some good points, the bad points far out weigh the good. I hope some of the other jump wings collectors will jump in here.

It appears he (seller) backs up the wing as original. I am not a buyer but it would appear difficult to tell if original or not if they are handmade and each one would have differences.

ocsfollowme

I know, but if this specific wing isn't talked about, then I would not find the answer.

on the contrary

Here is the thing. This wing is very well documented but you have to do your homework at look and look. Most of the details are in the back. Use Ron Burkey's website, this forum, and Les Hughes site http://www.insigne.org/sf_wing-I-2.htm

With any high dollar item, the winner will be either a fool or an experienced collector. Any "I am not sure bid" will not win this auction.

And with anything...there are always rules to the exception. And I am personally not experienced in patches. If you have the money you can play. He does offer a 14 day inspection time period.

I do not like the wing at all and think it's a reproduction that's my opinion.I have owned more than a few of these and the quality of the front and back of that wing just doesn't look right to me.I have added some scans of known originals and none of them display that kind of crappy workmanship.The man selling them might have got taken 30 years ago when he bought them but in my opinion they do not look real.The scan of the three together if I remember right came out of Les Hughes collection but at 80 that's what jumped into my pea brain.Scotty PS I have also seen originals with thin tan paper backings covering the back.

img442.jpg

img443.jpg

img589.jpg

img590.jpg

2020-04-08_125307.jpg

2020-04-08_125458.jpg