Ronald

OSS Wing Patch

I saw that. No clue if it is real or not. He has some other OSS patches, too.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Member:

ASMIC

OVMS

Primary interests:

The United States Army in WWII

The United States Army in Vietnam

WANTED:

WWII:

551st PIB pocket and shoulder patches

504th PIR real deal pocket patch 

Vietnam:

LDNN (RVN Navy SEAL) pocket patches

Somebody likes it. A lot of watchers.

I don’t know.

I’ve had quite a few over the years but never had one with a poor as heck embroidered “S”.

donation2013.gif

The fact that many people who know exactly what it is, and have viewed this thread, are silent says to me that they think it is good.

But that’s just an opinion.

donation2013.gif

There are many great photos of these wings on the forum. Do your research and you will find your answer

-Steve

OEF 11-12 veteran

WWW.WW2PATCHQUILT.COM

ASMIC #5169

Buying WW2 Home Front patches (mirror patches, anything with a V or Victory, war manufacturing patches, air depots, sub depots, training school squadrons, etc...)

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

I know, but if this specific wing isn't talked about, then I would not find the answer.

There are many great photos of these wings on the forum. Do your research and you will find your answer

Well, let's talk about it. I for one don't like it. It looks twisted and crude. There have been numerous copies of this badge made over the years and until I am convinced otherwise, my opinion is that it is a copy. While it has some good points, the bad points far out weigh the good. I hope some of the other jump wings collectors will jump in here.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

WANTED- Sterling hallmarked US Army Parachutist Jump wings:       WANTED -Combat Infantryman Badges (CIB):

Bell Trading Post Master (with star in wreath)                                        F.W. Assmann Germany full size CIB marked 191

12C Coro Senior clutchback (with star).                                                   CREST CRAFT Sterling EIB & CIB

CrestCraft 14C Master w/bubble canopy CB.                                          Denmark’s Sterling 2nd Award D22

Emblem Supply 1E Senior pinback                                                            Wilbur Kiff Co Attleboro Ma. Sterling

GP General Products Master CB                                                                D&H Manufacturing, provenance RI

Military Post Supply M21/MPS-21 Senior CB                                          C.P. Company NYC 1P C. Polk New York Sterling

Robbins Senior pinback                                                                               Gemsco Sterling 3rd award

Robbins Attleboro Mass. Basic pinback                                                   Simon Sterling 3rd Award

I know, but if this specific wing isn't talked about, then I would not find the answer.

-Steve

OEF 11-12 veteran

WWW.WW2PATCHQUILT.COM

ASMIC #5169

Buying WW2 Home Front patches (mirror patches, anything with a V or Victory, war manufacturing patches, air depots, sub depots, training school squadrons, etc...)

It appears he (seller) backs up the wing as original. I am not a buyer but it would appear difficult to tell if original or not if they are handmade and each one would have differences.

on the contrary

Here is the thing. This wing is very well documented but you have to do your homework at look and look. Most of the details are in the back. Use Ron Burkey's website, this forum, and Les Hughes site http://www.insigne.org/sf_wing-I-2.htm

With any high dollar item, the winner will be either a fool or an experienced collector. Any "I am not sure bid" will not win this auction.

And with anything...there are always rules to the exception. And I am personally not experienced in patches. If you have the money you can play. He does offer a 14 day inspection time period.

-Steve

OEF 11-12 veteran

WWW.WW2PATCHQUILT.COM

ASMIC #5169

I do not like the wing at all and think it's a reproduction that's my opinion.I have owned more than a few of these and the quality of the front and back of that wing just doesn't look right to me.I have added some scans of known originals and none of them display that kind of crappy workmanship.The man selling them might have got taken 30 years ago when he bought them but in my opinion they do not look real.The scan of the three together if I remember right came out of Les Hughes collection but at 80 that's what jumped into my pea brain.Scotty PS I have also seen originals with thin tan paper backings covering the back.

img442.jpg

img443.jpg

img589.jpg

img590.jpg

2020-04-08_125307.jpg

2020-04-08_125458.jpg

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

OP

post-122868-0-36670900-1586369027_thumb.jpg

-Steve

OEF 11-12 veteran

WWW.WW2PATCHQUILT.COM

ASMIC #5169

post-122868-0-80129300-1586369073_thumb.jpg

-Steve

OEF 11-12 veteran

WWW.WW2PATCHQUILT.COM

ASMIC #5169

I don't like the Ebay wing either for what it is worth.

The two "standard" (if you can call them that) SF wings are the the style shown by Bill IDd to OG personnel and another style with arched wings. The second version has a period after the F the first does not. I think the thinner style shown by Bill is original, and an adaptation of an RAF wing.

Here is a period pic of the style with arched wings as worn by the men of OG Adrian. The photo was taken in the aircraft prior to their drop in to France. This photo has a plethora of fascinating details if you look closely...

post-110-0-00121100-1586372530_thumb.jpg

I will pay top dollar for original WWII items pertaining to:

OSS

OSS Maritime Unit

NCDU

UDT

Scouts and Raiders

FSSF

I have nothing very intelligent to add to this thread, as I remain completely ignorant of these items. However, I do recall a number of years ago that there were a ton of English-made (according to what I had heard) squadron patches. The thread used to make these patches was thicker than normal (IRC) and the back was characterized by a bunch of loose threads in a mass. The back of this patch looks like those fake squadron patches, from the best I can see.

Pete you are correct the thinner style is the one most often seen that was given to Pilots who dropped the OG groups into enemy territory.Here is another one which I think was made from an RAF wing.Scotty

img908.jpg

img909.jpg

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

A good informative discussion. Thanks

Scotty,

Your wing is most definitely an RAF pilot brevet that has been modified into a SF wing. I have always been very afraid of these wings as the only "real" one that I have ever encountered was made as a SF wing and not modified. My question would be who would be doing the modification? If the wing was made by the tailor, why wouldn't it just be made to the proper pattern without modification? If it were made by the veteran, they would have been an OUTSTANDING seamstress. If it were made by the OGs for issue to the team, then why wouldn't they just issue out the normally seen SF wing?

I am not saying that the wing you have photographed isn't original, just that it is quite unusual and would have been made under quite unique circumstances.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

Great topic! I don't have one of these wings yet.... but I will eventually. Very informative as I always get skeptical when I see them. Thanks Bill Scott, I had no idea they had a wing for the pilots! And thanks to everyone for educating us all. Sitting here researching an OSS group I picked up a few years ago and this pops. up... well, have to have something to do while on "lockdown"!

Jeff

I have nothing very intelligent to add to this thread, as I remain completely ignorant of these items.  However, I do recall a number of years ago that there were a ton of English-made (according to what I had heard) squadron patches.  The thread used to make these patches was thicker than normal (IRC) and the back was characterized by a bunch of loose threads in a mass.  The back of this patch looks like those fake squadron patches, from the best I can see.

I think your thinking of the butler patches out of England. I think that is the name of the guy making all the repo sqn patches. And yes very similar

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif