Military Advisory Team Duc Pho?

Siamundo

Hoping someone might have some additional information on this patch. On the surface I am guessing a Military Advisory Team based in Duc Pho, Vietnam. However, based on this site I found of MACV team locations, https://macvteams.org/ there didn't seem to be a team based at Duc Pho unless this is a detachment patch. I thought this was maybe from Team 61, but that looks like it was in Chi Ling which is far in the South as best as I can tell. Duc Pho appears to be in the north possibly part of the I Corp area, south of Danang. I can't quite figure out the significance of white and blue caltrop design on the right side either. Any ideas?

post-2744-0-95039800-1586123100_thumb.jpg

Thank you Jakob, I think you are spot on with the ID of the blue and white insignia. I thought it might be an ARVN insignia and I looked at some on line but never saw this one. I did however, just find this image on line with your guidance,

03-popularforcesobv_540x598.jpg

vintageproductions

I am looking at a different direction.

The Caltrap could also be 3rd Marine division related.

Also this type of Japanese embroidery is more common with Marine Corps related insignia.

The Mobile Advisory Teams worked with RF/PF and were numbered differently from regular advisory teams who worked with the ARVN.

The first number is the CTZ they were located in, in this case I Corps. 61 was the team number. But they would be under the control of the province advisory team, like maybe Advisory Team 17 in this case (possibly).

So this is not the team that was in Chi Lang.

Just to add how the numbers were used, one of my uncles was with MAT II-31, so he was on Team 31 in II Corps but they were under Advisory Team 26 in either Dalat or Tuyen Duc, can't recall.

So this patch is for MAT I-61, Advisory Team 17(?) or ?

Wow, talk about going down the numbering system rabbit hole :) I did not know that an individual numbered team itself would have it's own numbered teams. Is it possible there might be patches with both the team numbers and the advisory team number (not to mention Corps number)? Thank you for the education Longhorn92 and for the information from other members as well!