B Company 3rd Marine Battalion Reconnaissance patch

Siamundo

Just trying to get a feel for this patch. Strikes me as being made in Japan, not sure of vintage though. Wondered if it was Vietnam era or post VN?

post-2744-0-91223300-1586121732_thumb.jpg

I was hoping someone would comment on this piece as I was curious myself. I have one in my collection along with a worn variant that came out of a named grouping. However mixed in within this veteran's grouping were reunion and association type patches so I'm not sure if it is original. I understand that none of these patches are authorized wear but what I mean by original is that there a team purchase made for the specific unit and worn on off duty windbreakers, baseball caps, sporting attire or gym bags.

post-1389-0-70929900-1586810999_thumb.jpg

If I'm not mistaken Company B was formed in 2006 from 5th Force as a result of the MarSoc standup.

Thanks for the input. These patches have a little age to them so I'm guessing they represent possibly an earlier B Company, 3rd Recon Battalion.

I agree with Tonomachi in that these patches date from an earlier incarnation of Company B. I have found that Wikipedia only mentions a Company B being formed in 2006, but other online sources reference an earlier Company B or Provisional Group B that served in Vietnam. One such source are the online records from The Vietnam Center and Sam Johnson Vietnam Archive from Texas Tech University http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/3rdReconBn.htm There are numerous references to B Company in many of the reports between 1965 and 1969 http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/3rdReconBn.htm

Now that would make sense seeing that both patches look to be 60's vintage. The smaller one is probably US made where the large on is Japanese made. Both are really nice original patches. Semper Fi! - Jeff

Thank you for your thoughts Jeff. The larger patch that Tonomachi pictured looks identical to the one I posted-like twins separated at birth.