Glider pilot

husk

I picked up this British-made, US uniform from a local auction house a while back. I was told it had belonged to WWII US glider pilot named Swenson. Can anyone confirm that based on the laundry number in the cap? TIA Husk

post-4631-0-12389700-1586112594_thumb.jpeg

post-4631-0-84928200-1586112614_thumb.jpeg

I dont believe there are any resources or databases out there which use officer serial numbers. Your best bet is to check around the ETO AAF sites and find a pilot who might match what you know.

• 1 month later...

There was one Swenson as Glider Pilot, the one from the link above. But....the 0855 number does not match.

He had two numbers, a T-number, which was T132195. After promotion from light Officer to Lt. he got an O-number, being O946229.

That is what I could find regarding Swenson.

Found one glider pilot (in incomplete roster) with 0855 and that does not fit the S.

I found one Air Medal award card for a Flight Officer named Robert S. Swenson who served in the IX Troop Carrier Command and was awarded the AM on May 18, 1945. His Service Number is T 132 195.

No other soldiers named Swenson show up as Troop Carrier. I can't confirm that he was a GP.

Allan

It is interesting that his Bronze Star doesn't show up in the AAAF award cards. I wonder if it was awarded by another command?

Allan

Swenson served in the contingent of glider pilots that formed a provisional company of the 194th Glider Infantry after the Varsity landings. They were all awarded Bronze Stars in the 1990s so they don’t show up in the database

49 minutes ago, Allan H. said:

It is interesting that his Bronze Star doesn't show up in the AAAF award cards. I wonder if it was awarded by another command?

Allan

Well in the link I posted on April 5th, it states he didn't receive his BS until 2013. See: