Owen, this one is for you !

Eric Queen

I paid a lot for it but had to have it. The coolest US airborne portrait I have seen in some time. I love the hand applied camo M42 jump suit and helmet. Trousers seem to be modified in some way.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Taken in Sicily mid August 1943. He was most likely with the 82nd (504/505) during Operation Husky. If the people to whom the PC is addressed were his parents, his name could have been James Snyder but have not been able to locate him on a roster thus far.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

BILL THE PATCH

That is a really cool picture, thanks for showing

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Persian Gulf Command

Eric,

Thank you for sharing to the rest of us as well. I saved the image and looked at an enlargement. I would speculate that the hand applied, brushed application, of the paint is two different colors. Additionally, the helmet has a very similar application pattern but he pants appear to be a different pattern of application.

The trooper has a long bladed knife on his right hip that is not a M4 bayonet or M3 fighting knife. It looks like it may be a 1918 knuckle knife. Also there is a U.S. flag on the right shoulder.

Great serious expression on the trooper's face holding the M1 Garand with authority!

Could this be him?

Snyder on the registration card is written pretty similar to the Snyder on the back of the photo

post-154926-0-21567800-1586115060.png

Thanks, the writing does look similar. But it looks like he is sending it to a Max Snyder. He signed it "Just Jim" so was guessing his name was James most likely. I wonder Max could have been an older brother (he would have been 28 in 1943)

Thanks again for the help.

manayunkman

I’ve been to Catawissa several times back in the day and it’s not a heavily populated area.

Shouldn’t be too hard to find Jim if he is a Snyder.

Only James or Jim that I could find from Catawissa who was in WWII I think was James Berdet Snyder. Handwriting doesn't really match up though

E

Amazing picture!!!

It’s like a 16th century oil painting!!

Thanks for thinking of me

His trousers seem to have the cream colored webbing tape that has the red fleck thread running through it.

Usually for risers etc

O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Persian Gulf Command

I have this photo in my file but do not remember where on the net I found it. I believe the Trooper may be same individual.

post-17994-0-05602400-1586698392_thumb.jpg

pararaftanr2

Could this be him?

Snyder on the registration card is written pretty similar to the Snyder on the back of the photo

For what it's worth, I think you will find that these registration cards were filled out my the registrar at the draft board, not by the registrant, who only signed his name at the bottom, so the hand writing would not match.

Eric,

Thanks a million for sharing the photo. The backdrop painting of the Sicilian photographer has been seen with a number of paratrooper studio photos. I have seen a number of them with troopers wearing short sleeved jump jackets. This is the first camo'd one that I have encountered.

As has been mentioned previously, the paratrooper trouser pockets have been modified with parachute strapping. I have seen this type of modification on 509th uniforms, as have I seen the hand camo patterns applied. I am sure that troopers of the 504th and 505th PIR would have done the same.

Allan

Thanks to all for the comments. Glad that you enjoyed seeing it.

Persian Gulf Command:

Thanks for posting the photo. I am not sure if it is the same guy but it's a great image. Certainly more of a pronounced camo pattern than mine.

manayunkman

Those two paratroopers look exactly the same.

The trooper in the second photo not only carries two knuckle knives but he appears to have a captured German pistol as well.

• 11 months later...
postmanusnac

Looks like the classic civil war photos. I have one like it for my 5x g uncle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk