Cattaraugus 225Q repro sheath

Gregory

Hi all,

A few years ago I saw in the net an advert of a man who manufactured high-quality replica sheaths for the Catts 225Qs. At present I am unable to find that man's address. After many years of collector market observation I do not count on purchase of the original sheath that is why I would like to ask if somebody knows that these sheaths are replicated?

Best regards

Greg

Hi greg...some on EPay right now...the seller is ALLIED WORKSHOPS

regards

Lloyd

Lloyd,

I am very thankful for this info. I have just bought it. So far I have had a Catt more for exhibition than reenactment due to sheath condition.

Thank you very much. :)

Best regards

Greg

• 4 weeks later...

One more request for info.

At one of the other US militaria forums (I do not remember what) I have read that the Cattaraugus 225Q sheath was the same as for other US WWII military knife. I forgot the name of this second knife that fits the same sheath. Could you write please the model of this knife?

Thanks and best regards

Greg

Charlie Flick

Hello Greg:

The other knife you are thinking of is probably the Case 336Q. It is substantially the same as the Catt but perhaps a little better finished. It gets a higher price too, due to the fact that Case is regarded as a more popular brand and because over 1,000,000 of the Catts were manufactured while the Case was made in much smaller numbers. Also, there are 2 variations in the Case based on the markings making it a little more interesting to collectors.

These knives were made to particular specifications issued by the Quartermaster Corps. All of the contracts were Army except a single Navy contract. USGI Knife Expert Frank Trzaska, a member here and a good friend, wrote an excellent article on these knives in Knife World a while back. Perhaps Frank will chime in here.

I have not compared the sheaths for the Catt and the Case, but would not be surprised to learn that they are identical. Most of the cutlery companies at that time purchased their sheaths from outside vendors. I don't recall the name of the one making the Catt sheaths. Cattaraugus County is an area that had a long association with the cutlery industry.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Cattaraugus_225Q_Knife_Ad.jpg

Hello Gents :)

Thank you very much for your replies and images. Of course the knife I forgot is the Case you wrote about and which is a counterpart of Cattaraugus 225Q. One more time thanks for reminding.

In the meantime I found the forum and topic I saw Frank Trzaska’s opinion about Cattaraugus 225Q sheath:

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopi...ttaraugus+225Q/

You are right that the Case is better finished and it is more ergonomic thanks to grooves in the handle. Also from technological point of view one-piece pommel seems to be better idea than Cattaraugus three-plate pommel.

The Case we are talking about seems to be very rare today. It is hard to buy and to find the pictures of it. Totally other situation is with Cattaraugus 225Qs which are popular on the market and relatively cheap. Below is wartime picture of the Case in ETO.

23540051bk1.jpg

28270802mb0.jpg

Best regards :)

Greg

Gunbarrel -- thanks for excellent pic. :)

Yes, it must be Catt due to typical handle centre section imperfections. BTW -- did anybody research this technological curiosity? Normally American technical cultrure has always been very high, also in the bayonet/knife industry. And suddenly there is such a product as Cattaraugus 225Q with its strange centre section handles manufactured as of leather discards. Does anybody know something more about it?

Thank you very much for your time and interest. :)

BOB K. RKSS
think.gif My guess on Catt. Commado knives almost always having damage at center portion of grip: knives were probably put in a tight Vice, after final assembly; to be factory Sharpened.