Camo lined Ike

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

Here is an interesting Ike jacket tailor made in Europe I’m sure. There is no tailor label or markings. The lining is of camouflage material. I think the camo is German pattern, but I’m no expert. The only insignia still on it is four Overseas Bars, but does have a ghost of the HQ ETOUSA SSI. My buddy found it in an antique mall and the vendor turned out to be the son of the WW II veteran. It is one of two Ike’s the son had for sale, the other had on the left sleeve; Ninth Army SSI, ghost of Tech-5 rank; on the right sleeve; HQ ETOUSA COM Z SSI with ADSEC rocker; ghost of Tech-5 rank; and five Overseas Bars; and Honorable Discharge insignia above left pocket. The son said his father, Eugene H. Fosnight, served in the military railway services in some capacity. T-5 Fosnight passed in 2000 and is buried in Union City, IN.
Thanks for looking, Comments Welcome.
BKW
post-1549-0-51175700-1586040392.jpg
post-1549-0-93300500-1586040413.jpg
One more photo to follow,

24th_infantry

Neat looking! Did you buy the two of them? I haven't seen any type of lining like that before. Do you have close-up pics of the lining?

Brian Keith

British Camo! Interesting! That would mean this was probably made in England. Thanks for the Info! My buddy bought them both. Thanks for the comments!
BKW

I make a couple more photo's.

Very nice! Fun fact this is not the first time I have seen this. That lining is actually German Fallschirmjager parachute material. I have seen two other jackets with the same interior. My imagination tells me they found a warehouse or storage of these parachutes sometime during the war and it was an option used by some tailors to finish off an ike jacket. Another I saw was from an AAF Major who flew B24s, for example.

Fixbayonets!

Very nice jacket! I can't tell from your photos but is your Ike theater made? If so, your jacket might have been made in The Netherlands. I have an Ike with the sleeves lined in the same German camo parachute material with a tailor label from Heerlen in the Netherlands.

usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7136-theater-made-german-us-officers-uniform/?hl=%2Bcamo+%2Blined+%2Bike#entry43880

Rob

Brian Keith

Hello Rob,

As I said at the start of the thread..."tailor made in Europe I’m sure. There is no tailor label or markings. The lining is of camouflage material." Thanks for passing along that thread, the camo looks to be the same.

Regards,

BKW

The B24 pilot's jacket was entirely theater made while he was in Italy. It is possible this may have been as well.

100% German camouflage

This is a really really really nice jacket

Happy for you that you own this !

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Keith

b92a639125f9a892d757ffdd043473c4.jpg

Here u go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I've always thought cammo was sexy, I guess you just proved it! Thanks for you comments, coming from "kammo-man" that is very high praise!

Glad you liked it and thanks for spicing this up a bit!

Slight correction thought, my buddy owns it, maybe I can pry it out of his collection someday.

BKW

Brian Keith

The B24 pilot's jacket was entirely theater made while he was in Italy. It is possible this may have been as well.

Hi Alex,

In WW II, the 9th Army (see SSI on other Ike) was in Northwest Europe, so not too likely our guy was in Italy like your example. No surprise tailors used what they could find to make cloths.

Thanks for you input.

BKW

Hi Alex,

In WW II, the 9th Army (see SSI on other Ike) was in Northwest Europe, so not too likely our guy was in Italy like your example. No surprise tailors used what they could find to make cloths.

Thanks for you input.

BKW

Yeah, the other jacket I saw was a British made version if I recall correctly. Not sure how it worked but I guess the idea popped up in more than one place.

Very nice! Fun fact this is not the first time I have seen this. That lining is actually German Fallschirmjager parachute material. I have seen two other jackets with the same interior. My imagination tells me they found a warehouse or storage of these parachutes sometime during the war and it was an option used by some tailors to finish off an ike jacket. Another I saw was from an AAF Major who flew B24s, for example.

Funny that you say that, as a former paratrooper the first thing I thought when I saw that smooth silky material was "I'll bet that was made from a parachute!"