Another cheap civil war tintype - NOT

Marktk36thIL

I threw up $3,500 and knew I wasn't even close to winning it. It'll probably sell for between $10k and 15k, more if it's a Rees but I didn't think so.

The Iron Brigade

You gentlemen are missing the obvious:

EXCEEDINGLY RARE CONFEDERATE DOLPHIN HEAD NAVAL OFFICER'S SWORD AND SCABBARD.

An amazing f--king image! ! !

post-164190-0-21491100-1586057024_thumb.jpg

Marktk36thIL

I wondered if it could have been a Dolphin Head sword last night, but didn't think so. The front of the snout/beak looks more pointed like an eagle that the curled up dolphin face.

Also, his death was in June of 1862, and according to The English Connection, they were not believed to have been imported until late 1862 or early 1863. It seems a majority of images with this pattern sword in them are of naval officers, with him being Infantry, makes it more unlikely.

I'm with you Mark K: "The front of the snout/beak looks more pointed like an eagle that the curled up dolphin face". +1

The Dolphin head has those bulges for the eyes..... it is an eagle head.

USCapturephotos

Amazing image. I've been trying to figure out what style of two piece tongue and wreath buckle that could be. Looks like maybe one of the rare state ones.

Paul

Great image, but it's absolutely crazy that it's been bid up from $0.99 to nearly $10K with five days to go! That's a great strategy for paying way more than you need to for an item.

Marktk36thIL

I am curious as to why he only buttoned the top and bottom buttons of his jacket?

I think it's a style and comfort thing. You see different ways of buttoning jackets for both sides of the war.

Premium image by all counts-- crisp, great contrast, expert tinting and identified to boot!

I'd put this one in the $8,000- $12,000 range, but it has the quality that you just don't find, so I guess the top end could really push.

Pretty sure that is an Eagle Head on sword.

Scott

Tiny image with great content and technical quality, but it's sure small:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2020-04-09 at 2.29.02 PM.png

Looks to be a sixth plate-- the most common size of Civil War images.

Smaller (9th plates) will detract from value considerably and some collectors steer clear of them, so they are a hard sell.

Of course larger images are more desirable.

Scott

Buttons undone...perhaps he did also a hand in coat ala Napoleon style photo. That was done often in both the CSA and Union Army. Just a guess. I am sure he would have done more then one pose.

Marktk36thIL

Buttons undone...perhaps he did also a hand in coat ala Napoleon style photo. That was done often in both the CSA and Union Army. Just a guess. I am sure he would have done more then one pose.

Definitely could have been another pose or two.

A sixth plate is a nice size image still. Confederate images are smoking hot right now. I still get pissed when I was offered $1000 for a Armistead's Brigade Pickett's Charge WIA and DOW. Probably $4-5k to the right collector.

That image is tinted beautifully, and will command a high price, and will be a top shelf image.